Everton joint-top in league of divers

Discussion in 'Everton Forum' started by dholliday, Nov 24, 2013.

1. dholliday

dholliday happy we bought Rom Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    Soz for yet another thread, but just wanna hear your thoughts about this.

I find it ridiculous that we somehow manage to be the joint-most punished for diving when we hardly ever do it, and when we do, it's meek and full of apology.

Or am I delusional and this table really does fairly reflect reality?

2013/14 season: booked for diving so far:

Everton = Leighton Baines, Ross Barkley
    Man Utd = Ashley Young, Adnan Januzaj
    Spurs: Andros Townsend
    Man City: Micah Richards
    Palace: Marouane Chamakh

with Chelsea's Ashley Cole retrospectively guilty of diving. Sauce (scroll down after the C.Ronaldo bit).

What can be learned from this little table of shame, if anything?
  2. Baines' left foot

Baines' left foot Player Valuation: £1m Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    Bit embarrassing to be perfectly honest.
  3. bluemangroup

bluemangroup Player Valuation: £950k

Reputations:
    Thought the Barkley one was a bit harsh yesterday, he was expecting contact and didn't really appeal for a free kick. Just goes down.
    The Baines one was an absolute nailed on penalty if I remember, so it was a bad decision by the ref.
  4. Muggins

Muggins Player Valuation: £950k

Reputations:
    We're relatively new to this diving thing so it's no surprise that as amateurs at this art, we are not as good at getting away with it as other teams.
  5. Dutch Toffee

Dutch Toffee Moderator Staff Member Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    Only shows that we're just no good at cheating.
  6. dholliday

Reputations:
    Baines is not that sort of player.

How Suarez or Gerrard aren't on here is telling...and neither would the Man Utd players have been had Dark Lord Ferg still been in charge.
  7. dholliday

Reputations:

This with cheese on top.
  8. parkendkev

parkendkev Player Valuation: £150k

Reputations:
    Barkley's dive was bad, but didn't Baines get booked against Cardiff which was a stonewall penalty ? Or was it a different match ?
  9. Dutch Toffee

Dutch Toffee Moderator Staff Member Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    Have to say that both the dives where Baines and Barkley got rightfully booked for were cringeworthy. Just stop it and leave it to the clubs that make a living out of cheating.
  10. EFCNIK

EFCNIK Site debt collector Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    Difference is we as a fan base don't put up with it from our own players. Barkleys dive yesterday was embarrassing.

We don't do it nearly as much as a lot of other teams. There have been times this season, Coleman springs to mind, where it would have been better for the player to take a dive but has stayed on his feet. Surprised baines has been booked for it? He's a very honest player. Even when fouled he doesn't make a meal of it.

Don't think that table is in anyway a fair reflection. We're far too honest sometimes. It makes me proud of who we employ but at times it hinders us.
    1 person likes this.
  11. Pat's Van

Pat's Van Player Valuation: £950k

Reputations:
    get Tom Daley on FFS
  12. Eggs

Eggs Player Valuation: £750k

Reputations:
    ....the best cheats and divers aren't on here because they don't get caught.
  13. Woolly Blue

Woolly Blue Moderator Staff Member Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    He can train Lukaku to dive and then we get to see Romelu in speedos.
  14. orchard

orchard Player Valuation: £750k Forum Supporter

Reputations:
    How many times has the ref not booked people diving against us this season. Typical :)
  15. bluemangroup

Reputations:
    You have to start incorporating some bending of the rules though. It's all well and good being moral bastions but if you aren't getting where you want to be, whilst those that cheat, succeed, what's the point?
  16. fitzyefc

fitzyefc Player Valuation: £150k

Reputations:
    Baines dive was against hull and terrible
  17. Baines' left foot

Reputations:
    Not arsed if other teams do it, It's embarrassing. Even if I'm sat on my own watching the game I've got to shout at the TV in disgust. None of this RS denial rubbish, if one of our players dive I call them a bellend whoever they are.
  18. bluemangroup

Reputations:
    I don't like it, but if it is actually hindering you, as it is, being the stand up guys, we should maybe think about it. Sad though that is.
  19. Baines' left foot

Reputations:
    I can understand that viewpoint definitely, but it's just something I hate to see. The sooner retrospective action is brought in for diving/simulation the better. More important than goal line technology in my opinion.
  20. bluemangroup

Reputations:
    I equally hate it, I really do. It makes football a near non contact sport when players dribble in the box. Simulating you are more injured than you are is the one I'd hate to see from our players. If, every time there is contact, you go down and feign injury and get straight back up afterwards, you should be sent off. It's a ridiculous practise.