earliest goodison memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandjango

Once a blue always a....
Sorry if this thread exists so shift it if it does....I was just reminiscing with my brother.......as he lays on his back with a prolapsed disk so he cant escape my whimsy...about the first time we remember being in goodison.......he is a sprog so I was there first...
it must have been 1960 I was five and I cant remember who the other team was ....but I do remember sitting on my dad's shoulders on the terrace next to a guy an a flat cap swearing blue murder at the ref....and when we scored the noise and the rush and crush an the terrace and the old guy reached up and held me steady on my dads back ...and gave me a great big beer breath boozy grin and said hang on lad youre going to play for them one day
ha I always tried but never did...it's my earliest memory on the terrace though...
What's Yours ??

I can go to 1960 as well, Sat 5th Nov. 1-1 Vs WBA and little Bobby Collins squaring up to some grock sized Albion defender... and the defender having the good sense to back down.

'84 I was 6. I'm only 5' 6" now so I'll let you imagine how much the Gwladys Street scared the crap out of me..... My arl fella took me in the bullens for the next game :D

Not my first memory, but my first clear memory was the game against Spurs around Easter 1963, when that Alex Young header won us the game and arguably the title. But the clearest memory of the game was not the goal but being scared s***less by being up against a flimsy wooden railing above one of the entrances to the Goodison Rd terracing. How that held up to the pressure of the crowd behind it beats me. If it hadn't have done so the fall was a good 20 ft down onto the steps below.

Not my first memory, but the first time I took my younger brother to Goodison.
He is a gooner but agreed to come and see his Arsenal v my Everton. We sat in Upper Gwladys and I watched us go behind early, then Radzinksi grabbed a deserved equaliser.
Well I am sure you know where this is heading, but when Rooney entered the pitch the crowd erupted and of course he won the game with a stunning strike. He actually almost grabbed a second with another wonder attempt.
Anyhow my brother whilst gutted we had halted the Gunners unbeaten run but was taken a back by how loud we were and even learnt a lot of history that day about how Everton are one of the greats and now always tells me we are his second team.

1983/84 season, just before my 3rd Birthday, sat in the Gwladys with my back to the match, scared like a big girl for some reason, missing some of the best football Everton have ever played. That's my first memory of Goodison.

Bit older, about 14, in the Park End, we're playing Leicester (I think).

Ian Walker's warming up & some arl fella shouts: "Is your Dad still on the dole Ian?"

Ian Walker turns round & says something like: "Yeah, any jobs going?"

So we're all made up with that & give him a clap, but this arl fella is FURIOUS that he's just been spectacularly had off, and when the clapping dies down he goes: "WELL GET YOUR F***ING HAIR CUT THEN!!!".

Made no sense in the context of the convo, was like tourettes. Walker just had a gutted look on his face & turned back around.

Used to like getting out of the Boys' Pen when they opened the gates near the end and getting up to the Gwladys Street stands to see that amazing new view of the pitch. It was only 6d ( two and a half pence ) to get in the Boys Pen then and half a crown to get in the ground I seem to remember.

1961 for me, cannot remember exactly which game now. Dad would park up at my Grandmothers in a close off Luxmore road. Just 10 minutes walk and we were in Gwladys Street and of course parking was free with Gran keeping an eye on the car. My uncle John, well he is one year older than me still lives in the house.

Played Watford in the 85/86 season. Me and my uncle get out of the Datsun Cherry in the car park an the first person I see is Adrian 'inchy' Heath. I froze an my uncle said something along the lines of "score us a goal inchy". He smiled at us an said he'd try his best. In the match we battered them and won 4-1.

just before halftime my uncle went to get us some sausage rolls. I'm sat there by myself feeling a little scared in a crowd of strangers in a completely foreign environment when boom, inchy scores a cracker.

I remember the sudden explosion of noise and excitement, the electrifying shock of adrenalin. I felt delighted and frightened at the same time (like a roller coaster - typical everton), the ground rumbled with the thunderous stomping of feet and the vibrations of the stand literally shook through to my core. Somewhere in the midst of that magnificent mayhem who I was had been changed forever. Touched by the indelible beauty that binds us forever as the everton family.

Lol ok maybe I go ott a bit but you all know what I mean. It's the closest thing to a religious experience I'll ever feel and to this day it ranks up there as one of the best experiences of my life.

Charlton 87, I was 4. One of the best goodison moments as standing outside in 95 watching the cup parade, seeing all this people on the unfinished structure of the megastore.

also remember the only time I've say in the park end (the old one) and watched a charity match between Everton/Liverpool vs man utd/man city. Merseyside won like 6-1 of something can't remember the scorers but remember singing oh Manchester is full of [Poor language removed] and laughing my arse off cos I was about 6 or 7. Anyone know what year that was?

I remember in the early 60's trying to get Mike and Bernie Winters autograph as they finished their cup of tea in the café in Goodison Road, near Oxton Street I think. There was a big crowd outside waiting, we were playing Spurs that Saturday and I had just been given an Autograph book for my birthday.
The winters were bad in them days but not as bad as Mike and Bernie.

I remember in the early 60's trying to get Mike and Bernie Winters autograph as they finished their cup of tea in the café in Goodison Road, near Oxton Street I think. There was a big crowd outside waiting, we were playing Spurs that Saturday and I had just been given an Autograph book for my birthday.
The winters were bad in them days but not as bad as Mike and Bernie.
Ha ha,thats a great tale mate!(Was Schnorbitz with them?:D!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.