Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hello Lads,

I have been prescribed with 20mg Citalopram for my recent depression, I am reluctant/scared tbh about taking these,
Anyone had experience of these?
My GP reckons they'll make me feel worse before better, that's my main worry.

Hello Lads,

I have been prescribed with 20mg Citalopram for my recent depression, I am reluctant/scared tbh about taking these,
He said they make you worse first? That sounds more like Sertraline - Citalopram can take a couple of weeks to start working but it shouldn't make you worse. Sometimes they can work the next day if you're lucky.

Citalopram sorted the wife out no problem.

He said they make you worse first? That sounds more like Sertraline - Citalopram can take a couple of weeks to start working but it shouldn't make you worse. Sometimes they can work the next day if you're lucky.

Citalopram sorted the wife out no problem.
Thanks Mate,
No they're deffo Citalopram ,
Going to start on them tomorrow,
See how I get on.
Thanks for the reply.

Hello Lads,

Hi Mate, I started this treatment on Monday last week, My GP said the same and I was bricking it! Have to say although I don't feel any better, certainly not any worse but have some strange side effects, slightly anxious, jittery first thing in the morning and feeling nauseous and bit of stomach cramp but up to now that is about it, happy to share more with you as my week or two absorbing of these meds takes place and of course contact me direct if you wanna share your experiences. I was and still am nervous about them but I needed something. On a lighter side they can apparently make you go all night in the sack so maybe the missus will get some benefit!!

Thanks Mate,
No they're deffo Citalopram ,
Going to start on them tomorrow,
See how I get on.
Thanks for the reply.

Any anti depressants can "make you worse".

When you start taking them just be aware that you can get periods of

"racing thoughts"

"Anxiety levels may marginally increase"

"Public or crowded places might cause a little anxiety"

I'd liken it to someone giving your head a shake. Literally.

But those things ease off after a week or so. Then your anxiety levels will go down and you'll feel in much more control of how you feel. Like "your emotions put in a box" for safe keeping.

Just realise that these feelings can happen and are normal. Just take a breather and relax if anxiety levels get too high. Otherwise don't worry.

Hi Mate, I started this treatment on Monday last week, My GP said the same and I was bricking it! Have to say although I don't feel any better, certainly not any worse but have some strange side effects, slightly anxious, jittery first thing in the morning and feeling nauseous and bit of stomach cramp but up to now that is about it, happy to share more with you as my week or two absorbing of these meds takes place and of course contact me direct if you wanna share your experiences. I was and still am nervous about them but I needed something. On a lighter side they can apparently make you go all night in the sack so maybe the missus will get some benefit!!
Thanks very much mate,that's helped a lot and I might take you up on the offer of the Dm's.

Any anti depressants can "make you worse".

When you start taking them just be aware that you can get periods of

"racing thoughts"

"Anxiety levels may marginally increase"

"Public or crowded places might cause a little anxiety"

I'd liken it to someone giving your head a shake. Literally.

But those things ease off after a week or so. Then your anxiety levels will go down and you'll feel in much more control of how you feel. Like "your emotions put in a box" for safe keeping.

Just realise that these feelings can happen and are normal. Just take a breather and relax if anxiety levels get too high. Otherwise don't worry.
Thanks mate,
Reading some of the stuff yourself and others have posted has re assured me somewhat,
Just the thought of taking them made me anxious enough!

Hello Lads,

My missus has been on it for about two years, swears by it.

As with any AD treatments there is a bedding in as your mind & body adjust to the chemical rebalance. Good luck mate.

Hello Lads,

Been on 20mgs myself for about a year mate, I've definitely found them a help. Make sure you stick with them though, if you take them sparingly they don't work. Take one a day, I prefer to take them at night personally, and give it several weeks and hopefully you'll feel some improvement.

Been on 20mgs myself for about a year mate, I've definitely found them a help. Make sure you stick with them though, if you take them sparingly they don't work. Take one a day, I prefer to take them at night personally, and give it several weeks and hopefully you'll feel some improvement.

Everyone needs to realise they also need to use the space these give - when you're feeling a bit betrer to address the issues causing your feelings and thoughts.

No one is expecting people to make dramatic unsustainable changes to their lives. These never work.

A few little positive changes work better than a single big change. If you're getting harassed or bullied get out and go into a better functional environment that empowers you.

If you're in an abusive relationship perhaps you need to address the issues with an independent professional.

If your boozing and not eating or sleeping right. Make a conscious effort to do better. A little bit of what you like is fine. But dont go overboard. Little changes.

These are just examples. There's no fixed rules or solutions.

But antidepressants are mainly a temporary part whilst people address the above. Obviously there are those who have serious suicidal thoughts and they should be getting proper help from their medical practitioners continually until they recover.

Hello Lads,

not been on this page for a while, i'm now back on prozac.the worst thing for me is sat alone and having a few beers typing on here. but it make's the day or evening go by. the majority of the lad's AND lasses on here are genuine.when i get depressed i just delete everybody and start again tomorrow. it's the way i look on life. turn the page over and start a new chapter.

Thanks very much mate,that's helped a lot and I might take you up on the offer of the Dm's.
Hi Mate, just wanted to check how you were getting on? " weeks in for me and apart from a nasty bug in the last week the tabs have had just the effects spoke about before and have to admit feeling a little more "balanced" at the moment.

Hope all is going well for you?

Toffee Forever