Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

It's a bit of a shameful plug this. But basically I've been suffering from severe depression for around two years now. Switching medications on and off, and seeing a psychiatrist. It makes you no less of a person for seeking help. In fact, what do you think your loved ones would prefer? Not being officially diagnosed with a mental health condition and end up doing something similar to Gary Speed, or seeking some extra help, for what ultimately you have anyway. There's no escaping. And it will, and does get better once you seek help.

I guess I'm quite lucky in the way that one of the ways I feel better is opening up about my struggles, and pretty much revealing all, as I feel there is such a stigma in society towards mental health, that ultimately contributes towards feelings of suicide and isolation. Indeed it did for me in the first place (I had my own prejudices towards being a 'nutter!' Anyway, after recovering to the stage I'm at now I speak at work places for a charity project called Time To Change Wales. It's a great initiative to help reduce stigma in the work place and in society in general.

I'm in a band myself, and we're performing our launch gig in aid of the charity on Easter Monday. If there's any Blues in the South Wales area that are suffering with depression, or know someone going through difficult times, pop along. It would be amazing to talk to you! It's something that really does improve if you get the chance to talk to others going through similarly bad times. It's helped me, and at the end of the day, 1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health condition at one point or another in our lives. For any one in the area at Easter, check out my website in my sig :) Sorry for the plug, but it means a lot to me, and hopefully I can help some fellow blues in a tiny way! Likewise to so many on here, PM if you need a friendly, independent ear!

what are peoples thoughts on diet and nutrition and links to depression. Do you think it can be eased by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and regular excercise? I know some people that dont have the energy or willpower to do it but i am a strong believer of healthy body healthy mind.

what are peoples thoughts on diet and nutrition and links to depression. Do you think it can be eased by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and regular excercise? I know some people that dont have the energy or willpower to do it but i am a strong believer of healthy body healthy mind.

i think there are strong links between diet and mental health no? I've got a book called Eat Your Way to Happiness which is all about that, haven't started reading it yet. Something about how the right diet can maximise the amount of serotonin in your brain or something.

I definitely agree witchdoc! Especially for me, weight gain is a massive issue when going through depression, and yes, I can really struggle to motivate myself to do exercise when going through bad times. What I try to do is arrange to walk friends' dogs, and I've also joined a five-a-side team even though I'm useless at footy myself! It can take a lot of guts and motivation to do so though, but even if not neccessarily improving the fitness, it gives the sense that you've made something of your day, and done something good!

actually went out on my own last night for the first time in over a year.didn't stay out too long just a few hours. went to see an ac/dc tribute band.(would have stayed all night had it been the real thing). felt it today tho, sore back sore joints etc. the enjoyment I used to feel wasn't there and ifeel down today but I realise that it was a forward step in going out. next one is utd game. thanks for listening.

actually went out on my own last night for the first time in over a year.didn't stay out too long just a few hours. went to see an ac/dc tribute band.(would have stayed all night had it been the real thing). felt it today tho, sore back sore joints etc. the enjoyment I used to feel wasn't there and ifeel down today but I realise that it was a forward step in going out. next one is utd game. thanks for listening.

Good on you mate! Every journey starts with one step, and all that.
Was it a Bon or Brian tribute band btw?

Everybody struggles. To be human is to suffer loss. Once you step in to language there's no way to avoid this encounter with deprivation. You are not alone in this, I can assure you that I have never met anyone who does not suffer. What we tend to do is build symptoms and fantasies to defend against this loss. Depressed periods can kick in when these defenses fall away for one reason or another. The challenge at hand is to build something for yourself again from these ashes. Understandably its a daunting task but it is also a remarkable opportunity to shape a unique way of being. This is where talking comes in. Whatever you do, talk. I can not impress on you enough how powerful this simple act is. The very fabric of your being is speech - so speak! While doctors and various therapies can be useful in battling depressed periods I would urge you to go and speak to a psychoanalyst, if you choose to seek help from a professional. These are people who focus on the provocation and unflinching hearing of your speech. So speak and ask, as Alfred Prufrock did, "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

Fantastic, made me smile that. Good luck, you can definitely do it :)

I certainly think exercise and using natural remedies can help (obviously not cure) however you need to take into account the motivation it requires anyway to exercise nevermind if you're going through depression. Some medication also makes peoples weight balloon rather than their diet. The major benefit is getting people back into society even if it's just going for a walk or doing something simple, doesn't have to be joining a gym for example. Definitely not a cure but a small step in the road to recovery.

Dieting and exercising always makes it easier for you, I've found (as someone with depression).

However, it's amazingly hard to start anything like that. Right now - I'm happy to have a mate who wants to go running as well, and we go together, and a lot of the times he pretty much makes me go. I'm always keen to go, but when it comes to actually doing it, there's, well, something in the way.

Anyway, wanted to post this 'game' - depression quest. To start go to the bottom of that page and press "begin", it's all text based. It gives a lot of insight towards how depression feels to people who suffer from it and how it makes you feel, but I'd suggest to not play it if you're really down (or, god forbid, suicidal... even though we're here to help if you are - PM's and various threads!) at the moment...

Dieting and exercising always makes it easier for you, I've found (as someone with depression).

However, it's amazingly hard to start anything like that. Right now - I'm happy to have a mate who wants to go running as well, and we go together, and a lot of the times he pretty much makes me go. I'm always keen to go, but when it comes to actually doing it, there's, well, something in the way.

Anyway, wanted to post this 'game' - depression quest. To start go to the bottom of that page and press "begin", it's all text based. It gives a lot of insight towards how depression feels to people who suffer from it and how it makes you feel, but I'd suggest to not play it if you're really down (or, god forbid, suicidal... even though we're here to help if you are - PM's and various threads!) at the moment...

I didn't really understand that game nothing seemed to apply to me. I think i'm struggling to understand what depression is and if it applies to me.