David Moyes sacked - What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
BK needs to get RM in and up his contract been saying that for weeks now - DM should have been sacked when we finished 17th Gregg wanted him sacked BK took the club over entirely and DM was his own Boss - never a good thing 2 good seasons out of 11!

BK needs to get RM in and up his contract been saying that for weeks now - DM should have been sacked when we finished 17th Gregg wanted him sacked BK took the club over entirely and DM was his own Boss - never a good thing 2 good seasons out of 11!

You are right on there and add to that if Gregg had won we might now have had a stadium on Kings Dock and no Robert Earl sitting back somewhere sunning himself.

Talk sport report that DM was in Carrington at 5.15 am this morning and is sat with a delegate from the managers association to negotiate his compensation among others Giggs to be the new Man U interim manager - with Neville and Woods staying at the club - on the anniversary to the day when Unt beat Villa 3-0 at old Trafford and SAF told them to back the new manager as he needed time - what a fickle club, and a bad way to leak his sacking!
BK has to tie RM down to take us forwards, and UNT need a miracle with the big egos in the dressing room!

Yes he does, but he does not deserve the over-blown 'Open top bus parade' type talk.

Its just the same as when Redknapp took over Spurs, they were in tye bottom 3....MASSIVELY under-acheiving.....as the season earlier they finished 5th......and He was hailed as a miricle worker.

Moyes gave us stability, we should thank him for that, but that is all he did.

Mate take those blue tinted specs off, we wasn't under achieving we where crap. You underachieve for a season maybe ala spurs you don't underachieve for most of a decade. We was probably over achieving by staying up tbh.

moyes kept us up, probably a lot manager could of done that I agree.

Moyes stopped use from fighting relegation, some managers could of done that.

moyes made us consistent Europe challengers, not many could of done that.

moyes got us into the Champions leauge, bloody bugger all could of done that.

That's my breakdown of moyes time in charge. He may of stayed in charger to long but the man did wonderful work while he was here no doubt. But some people just want to rewrite history now he's gone and they don't like him anymore.

What ever team he takes over next will end up being a good team that challenges for Europe most seasons. Am made up with bobby thought the little Spanish love muffin but am not going to forget what moyes did for this club coz he mouthed off once or twice about our players.

The championship is now littered with clubs who have had spells in the premiership and racked up a greater net spend than we ever had access to. Moyes wasnt always perfect but he must be given credit for making sure we are a firmly established team in the upper tier of the premiership. The wrong appointment back in 2002 and we could have gone the same way as some other great clubs and drifted to the lower leagues.

For some reason when some people recall David Moyes taking over from Walter Smith they believe he inherited a team of players who were league 1 standard.... they weren't its just that Walter Smith was a complete disgrace of a manager who we should have taken to court for negligence - his management was that bad. Smith was up there with Mike Walker as one of the worst managers I have ever seen.

Joe Royle came in under similar circumstances to Moyes, saved us from relegation and won the FA Cup. He didn't leverage his popularity to screw more cash and dampen expectations like Moyes did. Once the board messed him around, he left, he wasn't prepared to compromise his belief in what the club should be.

Moyes did ok, but unfortunately happy clappy fans took far too long to realise how average he was as a manager.

My opinion was always this... Moyes needed to go to highlight the incompetency he was covering up at board level, which his £70k a week was designed to do. A manager with an appetite to be as ambitious as possible who has gained favour with the fans as Martinez has done is Kenwrights worst nightmare.

Unlike Moyes, Martinez will not be "bought off" - he is a man of principles, if he feels that he can't achieve his ambitions due to lack of support from the board you will see him leave, and Kenwright and co know this and they know they would face a revolt.

Part one of the Everton revival is complete - Fans have been re-brainwashed from thinking that without a dour negative sand bagger at the helm we face relegation. The next stage is them to realise that Everton need to back their manager to bring in the success a club of our tradition expects. If I was Bill and co I would be very wary of showing any signs of being frugal with the cash this summer. They have a manger who will not accept second best, whose popularity could crush them.

p.s surely there would be investors out there keen to buy a club with an exceptional manager in charge with a large fan base.....

Mate take those blue tinted specs off, we wasn't under achieving we where crap. You underachieve for a season maybe ala spurs you don't underachieve for most of a decade. We was probably over achieving by staying up tbh.

moyes kept us up, probably a lot manager could of done that I agree.

Moyes stopped use from fighting relegation, some managers could of done that.

moyes made us consistent Europe challengers, not many could of done that.

moyes got us into the Champions leauge, bloody bugger all could of done that.

That's my breakdown of moyes time in charge. He may of stayed in charger to long but the man did wonderful work while he was here no doubt. But some people just want to rewrite history now he's gone and they don't like him anymore.

What ever team he takes over next will end up being a good team that challenges for Europe most seasons. Am made up with bobby thought the little Spanish love muffin but am not going to forget what moyes did for this club coz he mouthed off once or twice about our players.

Yeah, to be fair, it was too much to ask to get Man United into the Europa League. You're spot on, with a good side like Stoke he'll work wonders.

Also, that post is 50% bullpoop and 50% spot on. You seemingly decided to switch your brain off after his first five or six years in charge. Fair play like.

I do think for all his short comings, it's hard to actually criticise the David Moyes era up to 2009, because he did so much, and as for the finishing 17th, it was clear that the players had switched off, by all accounts we were poor, but once safety was assured by late March, we, and Moyes just looked at the season ahead, what difference does it make if we finish 17th with 39points or 17th with 45points.

He did turn us from a gang of cloggers ala Bolton, to a team, who played football, and for fans who were starved of football for 10 years before he took over, who oversaw 2 last day survival miracles and so forth, it has to be appreciated, that out went the old boys and in came, the young 20 something lads like Cahill, Arteta, Lescott who all wanted to win.

Sadly, how do you motivate a fella like Moyes, when he starts to believe the hype? it's tricky. In his Everton team of the last few years, he had a team capable of getting top 4, but in his head, he knew he could do no wrong, even if the team finished 8th, but his short comings could be taken, and spun into a positive due to finishing above the RS, when in reality, all our fans wanted was a team who'd go out and attack, and in the end, Over-Cautious Davey, brought his own demise, by being exactly that. A team starved of success like Everton, the last thing you want is to sit back, in a semi-final, against your arch rivals, and blow a 1-0 lead, which some fans may have forgiven, but any credit Moyes may of received for his tenure, will always be overshadowed by the fact that he simply could not finish the job.

In 11 years he failed to win a major trophy, in which time, Middlesbrough, Swansea, Birmingham, Portsmouth and Wigan all did so, with sides like Bradford, Cardiff (x2), Millwall, Southampton, Stoke and Fulham all appearing in the same amount of finals, so that would be his major shortcoming.
He failed to beat Liverpool at Anfield in 12 attempts, which is just ridiculous considering the amount of 'success' we had. This goes for Arsenal, United an Chelsea too.

In all, i'm grateful for the job Moyes did, as he really did save us, but the perennial tagging of 'over-achieving', was in reality probably unjust, when in reality, we simply were stuck in a rut, something the fans could feel.

Thanks for the job, but you're actions were classless since leaving, and well you know how they put it

Blv6gVbIgAAJ7C_.jpg

Thanks for leaving. Here's to Bobby.

Credit where credit is due. He stabilised the club. The problem was that he put an artificial glass ceiling on what could be achieved (knives to gunfights, getting out alive etc etc ) and talked down aspirations. He's happy coming 7th, that's his level. Motivation can do wonderful things to a football team, but he just didn't have it........

The championship is now littered with clubs who have had spells in the premiership and racked up a greater net spend than we ever had access to. Moyes wasnt always perfect but he must be given credit for making sure we are a firmly established team in the upper tier of the premiership. The wrong appointment back in 2002 and we could have gone the same way as some other great clubs and drifted to the lower leagues.

I have to disagree anyone replacing Walter Smith would have given us stability - I repeat under DM 2 good seasons the football was dire the tactics the substitutions at times were dire - The way he left has been reported as inconsiderate to say the least on how he left the club - It is now proved he could not cut it at the top level - I am now more concerned that RM is kept here unless we would get fantastic compensation if he chose to leave in the future, BK has found a far better manager in him than DM who I never want to see returning to the club in any capacity not even as a ball boy!
My older Brother who is now a pensioner has returned to watch the blues - he made a commitment that he would never go and watch DM's dire football - he also stated whether he would be still the manager of Man U at the beginning of the season when the home fixture was announced at the beginning of the season he was so close to being spot on - He has seen like me good and bad EFC managers over his 60 years of attending blues games - I always rated DM as a glorified Gordon Lee who the blues fans hated yet imo was a better footballing Manager and produced better football than DM ever did!

You're well wide of the mark Pabbers. Everton were underachieving in relation to their history when Moyes took over, but in terms of the squad we were where we belonged.

What's done is done. Moyes did a great job of steadying the ship and picking up good players who became the backbone of the team. If we had sacked him before 2009 we might have been considerably worse off - who knows? Depends who his replacement would have been, which is why I prefer to look forward rather than back.

Martinez is a gem of a manager and we are lucky to have him. I doubt he would have left Wigan mid-season, so just be thankful the stars were in alignment and we got him when we did. If we'd appointed someone else in 20?? Then we might have missed out on one of the best young managers in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.