Darron Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he struggled to get to the pace of it last night when he came in.

Interesting that, leaving aside James, the following got in ahead of him
Whelan
Quinn
Kendrick.

I really hope that he gets back to where he was 18 months ago but am doubtful.

Whelan
Quinn
Kendrick.

I think he will, hes been out for a long time and we need to be patient.

Whelan
Quinn
Kendrick.

I don't think judging him on who gets in ahead of him in the Ireland team is fair. In 2012 when he was playing boss for us Glenn Whelan was still getting picked ahead of him in the Euros.

Whelan
Quinn
Kendrick.

It's interesting that that's what you took away from it. From what I can see, there is near universal praise for Hendrick and Gibson and some calls for them to be be the starters (some including McCarthy in a 3, some not). Gibson played 90 mins on Saturday. It was very unlikely that he would start again 3 days later. O'Neill was loyal to the same players that played against Georgia.

If you are expecting Gibson to be where he was physically before tearing his ACL then you're in for a bit of a wait. It takes time to get back close to where you were and this applies especially to speed/agility. Martinez has alluded to this in his comments with respect to Gibson and the pace of the PL. 4 starts into his comeback isn't really the place to be making doom and gloom proclamations. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue the journey to peak fitness.

I thought McGeady had a mixed bag of a game (no surprise there) but I thought Gibson did well when he came on, got control of the ball and moved it forward. When his fitness levels return, we should hopefully see the player we saw 2 years again

It's interesting that that's what you took away from it. From what I can see, there is near universal praise for Hendrick and Gibson and some calls for them to be be the starters (some including McCarthy in a 3, some not). Gibson played 90 mins on Saturday. It was very unlikely that he would start again 3 days later. O'Neill was loyal to the same players that played against Georgia.

If you are expecting Gibson to be where he was physically before tearing his ACL then you're in for a bit of a wait. It takes time to get back close to where you were and this applies especially to speed/agility. Martinez has alluded to this in his comments with respect to Gibson and the pace of the PL. 4 starts into his comeback isn't really the place to be making doom and gloom proclamations. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue the journey to peak fitness.

Firstly, I would appreciate it if you could abuse me a little when you do not agree with me!!!

Point taken, I thought his passing was poor and did not expect him to be trundling into 50/50s as if his life depended on it. I really, really rated him before he was injured and was fishing for other opinions on his cameo last night.

In fairness, with a username of Gibbo4, are you neutral becuase I just wanted to check what others who saw the game thought seeing as not many in Bs As did that I could speak to.

check what others who saw the game
Fwiw thought he was quite important in getting the equaliser, Keane had not being doing too much up top and Ireland were failing to keep possesion. The sub, and changing McGeady out to the wing, meant Ireland either kept the ball or regained it quicker (McGeady in particular make some very good tackles).

Agree it took him about 10 minutes to settle into the game but from there thought he did a decent job - nothing flashy but solid.

Fwiw thought he was quite important in getting the equaliser, Keane had not being doing too much up top and Ireland were failing to keep possesion. The sub, and changing McGeady out to the wing, meant Ireland either kept the ball or regained it quicker (McGeady in particular make some very good tackles).

Agree it took him about 10 minutes to settle into the game but from there thought he did a decent job - nothing flashy but solid.
THANK YOU

Firstly, I would appreciate it if you could abuse me a little when you do not agree with me!!!

Point taken, I thought his passing was poor and did not expect him to be trundling into 50/50s as if his life depended on it. I really, really rated him before he was injured and was fishing for other opinions on his cameo last night.

In fairness, with a username of Gibbo4, are you neutral becuase I just wanted to check what others who saw the game thought seeing as not many in Bs As did that I could speak to.

He had a couple of passes that didn't come off, several of which were lost due to Walters being on his heels and a decent through ball that Walters stood still admiring. An adventurous passer like Gibson will always lose the ball more due to trying the riskier pass.

Gibson's obviously not back to his peak yet, but it's surely encouraging that at this stage of his comeback his performance was already clearly better than other PL midfielders (Quinn, Whelan) and he held his own against the Germans in their back yard. No need to be pessimistic my friend.

I thought he vastly improved things when he calm on, was very calm in possesion, and his ability to pass the ball to another green shirt in a forward position really brought us more into the game... has to be ahead of whelan and quinn in the pecking order now

Gibson started to play the ball forward, unlike Whelan who only points and passes it backwards

the players around him took a few minutes to adjust to the improved delivery and the quality of the passes!
He definitely improved things and was strong on the ball a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.