Darron Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh legs in midfield will give used legs a breather. Getting Gibson match sharp will be a benefit and a burden, because on his day he can do a job and do it well. Its great saying its nice to have competition for places, but the reason he moved (and for such a remarkable low fee) was because he wanted games. If we go far in EL and FA cup then the PL games will ensure he and Besic get starts because Barry is a booking hound and when teams wise up to crocking McCarthy the onus will be on 45 minutes of marathon and then a sub to fill that energy in.

Coleman especially, but Mirallas as well are big outlets for Gibbo. He's certainly still a bit rusty but that's to be expected in only his second start for us after 11 months out. It takes time people. Passing was rusty at times but still comparable to Barry on the night. Gibbo (62 passes, 79% completion), Barry (64 passes, 80% completion). Tough night for these lads with too many inferior outballs compared to the 1st XI.

Was absolutely awful tonight, worst player on the pitch with the amount of daft mistakes he made but I'll put it down to rustiness, he hasn't play much football since coming back. Also with noting that he was playing alongside Barry and that really just doesn't work by the looks of it, both are too slow and by trying to do the same job get in each other's way.

He needs to play for a few games with the U21s to get up to speed again because tonight was simply atrocious, no way we can afford him or anyone else to be that off the pace in a Premier League game. Get some more minutes on the clock Gibbo because you badly need them by the looks of it.

Was absolutely awful tonight, worst player on the pitch with the amount of daft mistakes he made but I'll put it down to rustiness, he hasn't play much football since coming back remember.

He needs to be but with the U21s and play for a few games with them to get up to speed again because tonight was simply atrocious, no way we can afford him or anyone else to be that off the pace in Premier League game. Get some more minutes on the clock Gibbo because you badly need them by the looks of it.

Theres some truth to that, Gibson still managed to move the ball furthet than the statutory nearest man though, and I'm a fan of the graft Osman puts in with his twinkle toes but tonight he got worked over - I think thats because he carried the majority of the creative burden alone.

Back to Gibson (I sound like Weller, maybe) fitness and targetting are as important to him as sharpness and stamina. He could spray the ball around from a wheel chair, its the getting the wheel chair into the right spot that is the issue. He'll come good, and give Barry some time out.

Its all getting a little NFL attacking defensive subs now. Damn the American influence and the need for the world game to conform to such advertising statutes.

In my day a player could do 270 minutes straight without breaking sweat and have a shadey cig on the pitch. Modern football. I despair.

Theres some truth to that, Gibson still managed to move the ball furthet than the statutory nearest man though, and I'm a fan of the graft Osman puts in with his twinkle toes but tonight he got worked over - I think thats because he carried the majority of the creative burden alone.

Back to Gibson (I sound like Weller, maybe) fitness and targetting are as important to him as sharpness and stamina. He could spray the ball around from a wheel chair, its the getting the wheel chair into the right spot that is the issue. He'll come good, and give Barry some time out.

Its all getting a little NFL attacking defensive subs now. Damn the American influence and the need for the world game to conform to such advertising statutes.

In my day a player could do 270 minutes straight without breaking sweat and have a shadey cig on the pitch. Modern football. I despair.
Half of the game was back passes to the keeper though.

Half of the game was back passes to the keeper though.

If a midfielder with composed calmness is doing the keeper backpasses, then I'm happier than the Russian roulette CB nightmares that have encompassed the last 12 months giving it a go.

And Gibson hit the flanks quite regular. With more forwards thinking and more mobile athletes (in the same breath) to ping, he'd have pushed the ball around like a shoe pusher in one of those James Bond films featuring bacharack or something.

Good to see him in the side again.
He needed someone with more mobility than Osman to give the ball to though and better outlets on the wing and overlapping full backs.
I see, so he needed 5 better players around him out of the 10 other players on the pitch.

Nice.

Big fan of Gibson but tonight he was gash. Defo got to give him some slack though as he was out for so long. Unlike atsu who is just terrible.

He looked pretty poor didn't he. Does deserve some slack tho, very little game time as yet. Will need a few more to get up to speed.

Didn't help that in general the team was poor. Playing alongside Barry is not ideal. He needs to rotate with Barry not play alongside him.

Finally not having Barkley or even naismith in that No.10 role makes such a difference to our play. The midfield 2 option of playing the little ball forward into the hole has just vanished with ossie playing there. Atsu and McGeady are the back ups wide and it shows.

Can't wait for Ross to be back. I miss our sexy play soooo much!!

Had one of the best corners we've had this whole season....probably even last season as well...

True. There's a certain fella over the park who basically gets picked for his set pieces alone! To see a corner actually miss the first man and almost create a chance.....well I had forgotten what it was like to look dangerous from a corner as we have been absolutely dreadful for so long.

L4, you are right there, back in the 80s and prior the players seemed to be a lot tougher. There was never or hardly talk of resting legs.

True. There's a certain fella over the park who basically gets picked for his set pieces alone! To see a corner actually miss the first man and almost create a chance.....well I had forgotten what it was like to look dangerous from a corner as we have been absolutely dreadful for so long.

Garbutt's cameo showed off some amazing corners. Hopefully he can do those consistently because it would be a huge bonus if we could add those to our game at some point.

He's overrated by Everton fans in my opinion. Don't get me wrong he is a decent player and offers a bit of calmness, but nowhere near as good as Barry in my opinion. He offers a bit of calmness on the ball but he isn't anything special. Good to have as a squad player mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.