Couldnt have asked for a better first game in EL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Ve Dito

Player Valuation: £750k
A competition that has fallen from grace, a shadow of its former self. BUT, still has the potential to excite and enthral. We dont get to Europe that often lads
So, with that in mind, tonights tie is the perferct start.
Imagine if our first game was away..to say....some crowd like Metalist! Or Shamrock Rovers...or the runners up of Slovenia etc. It would kill it before it started.
Well, maybe Shamrock Rovers might be decent actually, location, pubs etc etc
But you get the point!

As it is, decent German team coming, high profile, on the tv...
CCOOMMMEEEE OONNNN!!!!!

THIS IS EUROPE....

Can't argue with any of that.

Also feels a bit must win as well. Wouldn't want to lose away at Krasnodar (could be a weakened team because of the United and RS games) and find ourselves with 0 points or 1 point from our opening 2 games. Really could do with a win tonight

Definitely must win tonight. If we don't win our home games we'll struggle to get out of this group.

But I agree, I think it will help our league form to be playing at a high standard. It will keep us sharp.

Plus with the exception of Russia none of the trips away will be too taxing travelwise.

Is Europa really thought of that badly or is it just a couple of teams getting their excuses in and a few English media outlets belittling it?
Genuinely not sure, only know what's reported in England, I would be surprised if the rest of Europe felt the same.

Is Europa really thought of that badly or is it just a couple of teams getting their excuses in and a few English media outlets belittling it?
Genuinely not sure, only know what's reported in England, I would be surprised if the rest of Europe felt the same.

i think generally the bigger sides tend to field their weaker players for this competition, the reason being the finanical benefit of a competition like the Europa league is minimal for most. I believe that the Champions league is something near ten times more profitable than the Europa League. Its also considered by many that the negative effects like fatigue and injuries will outweigh the positives which are the potential of winning a European tournament. Furthermore I think many feel that teams effectively falling out from the Champions League half way through the season to join the Europa league also takes something away from the tournament.

However there has been a small step forward to improve the interest in the Europa League in that the winner will get a Champions League spot. But more needs to be done in my opinion to enhance the credibility of this competition.

It's usually only England that don't take the Europa seriously. Continental teams want to win every trophy they can. Which is why it infuriates me when people dismiss the Carling Cup.

i think generally the bigger sides tend to field their weaker players for this competition, the reason being the finanical benefit of a competition like the Europa league is minimal for most. I believe that the Champions league is something near ten times more profitable than the Europa League. Its also considered by many that the negative effects like fatigue and injuries will outweigh the positives which are the potential of winning a European tournament. Furthermore I think many feel that teams effectively falling out from the Champions League half way through the season to join the Europa league also takes something away from the tournament.

However there has been a small step forward to improve the interest in the Europa League in that the winner will get a Champions League spot. But more needs to be done in my opinion to enhance the credibility of this competition.

Is it that bad? How many games will we play should we reach the final?

It really has fallen from grace in this country. How many of us actually remember that Fulham and Boro have both recently been in the final!

13 Games to reach the final, win some silverware, and test ourselves against the very best next season when we're in the CL, yeah, that's a reason why we should be going all out to go through

It really has fallen from grace in this country. How many of us actually remember that Fulham and Boro have both recently been in the final!

I hold it in high regard, infact many younger blues may recite the Fiorentina game as the best game they've been to ever.
Osman's goal against Larissa, is probably my favourite Everton goal ever, and the moments like smashing 6 past Brann, Nurnburg, Kharkiv away, and beating Russian Giants Zenit, are all very fond memories for me.

European football is huge, and i'd be bitterly disappointed if we didn't take it seriously.

A competition that has fallen from grace, a shadow of its former self. BUT, still has the potential to excite and enthral. We dont get to Europe that often lads
So, with that in mind, tonights tie is the perferct start.
Imagine if our first game was away..to say....some crowd like Metalist! Or Shamrock Rovers...or the runners up of Slovenia etc. It would kill it before it started.
Well, maybe Shamrock Rovers might be decent actually, location, pubs etc etc
But you get the point!

As it is, decent German team coming, high profile, on the tv...
CCOOMMMEEEE OONNNN!!!!!

THIS IS EUROPE....

Notihng wong with teh competiion. Only english clubs knock it, you know that right? Look across Europe, they all take it seriously and love it.

I'd rather we play Krasnodar at home first and try and get 3 points on the board, rather than the toughest team in the group

I have got a workmate who supports Bolton who calls it the Channel 5 Cup and says it's a crap competition. I politely remind him he supports a tin pot club who would love to be in our position

I can kind of half get Champions League perenniels looking down their noses at the Europa League, but everyone else in the league would surely want to finish 5th in the league and take part in the Europa League. It's European football for God' s sake with away trips to European cities, what's not to love

Status
Not open for further replies.