Comparison of first 3 results during Prem-era

Status
Not open for further replies.

dholliday

deconstructed rep
I'm wanting to put our first 3 games into some kind of perspective, as two of the teams we've just played are regular top 4 finishers, and mostly as I'm still sort of struggling to recover from the 3-6.

So here it is. Some interesting things here:

year = results = final position

92/93 = DWD = 13th (bit of a non-event, us missing out on the Prem-hype-machine began here)
93/94 = WWW = 17th (max. points, then saved from relegation on the last day vs Wimbledon)
94/95 = DLL = 15th (FA Cup winners)
95/96 = DLW = 6th (Joe Royle's last season)
96/97 = WDD = 15th (that was Newc & Spurs/Man U away, yet finished on 42 points)
97/98 = LWL = 17th (that final game against Cov...)
98/99 = DLL = 14th (Utd win the treble, we finish 14th under our 6th manager of the decade)
99/00 = DLL = 13th (the Walter Smith era to a tee...)
00/01 = LWD = 16th (this is the most crushingly-bored I've ever been as an Evertonian)
01/02 = WDW = 15th (nice one Unsworth! hello Davey Moyes)
02/03 = DWD = 7th (interest really peaking now! Rooney: WOW)
03/04 = LWD = 17th (39pts & 17th but we were never in real danger, optimism still good)
04/05 = LWW = 4th (Rooney gone, but 4th! 1-0 to Everton)
05/06 = LWL = 11th (bit of a comedown this one...)
06/07 = WDW = 6th (the beginning of our best-of-the-rest era, now in its 9th season)
07/08 = WWL = 5th (Arteta, feed the Yak, and European adventures)
08/09 = LWL = 5th (we're feeling like top 5 is our rightful place now)
09/10 = LLW = 8th (aaaah...)
10/11 = LDL = 7th (the pattern of poor starts and strong finishes was best personified here)
11/12 = LWD = 7th (Everton regain the 7th-place trophy!)
12/13 = WWL = 6th (a storming first 10 games or so, then massive wilt, then storming again)
13/14 = DDD = 5th (bye Moyes, hello Bobby! Record points haul of 72. Good vibes all round)
14/15 = DDL = ?th (we've scored 7 goals already...)

One point worse off than last season. Tougher start though.

We took 6 points (at home) off the gooners and rent boys last season though, so guess we'll have to beat, err, 2 of Norwich, W. Brom and Cardiff to make up for it.

Oh crap, 2 of those teams have been relegated; WE'RE DOOMED!

On paper and looking at the table, it is a horrendous start. We need a win next match to not only kick start our season, but to avoid all confidence disappearing.
Best case, we win our next match and get our season going. Worst case, we go into our Europa match with no wins.

Last edited:
On paper and looking at the table, it is a horrendous start. We need a win next match to not only kick start our season, but to avoid all confidence disappearing.
Best case, we win our next mach and get our season going. Worst case, we go into our Europa match with no wins.

On paper, drawing an away game, drawing at home to Arsenal, and getting beat at home by Chelsea is far from horrendous.

You expect us to bet everybody, home and away?

#kopitementality

Whinge a bit more please mate.

No need for that, mate. I'm with Kith, my expectations were at least 4 points without minus-GD from these first 3 games.

I also agree that it's vitally important we win the next game, for if we don't, that will be 10 games without a win (including pre-season).

Not good for moral...

No need for that, mate. I'm with Kith, my expectations were at least 4 points without minus-GD from these first 3 games.

I also agree that it's vitally important we win the next game, for if we don't, that will be 10 games without a win (including pre-season).

Not good for moral...

Oh, so we're two points short of your expectations? What a disaster!

LOL, listen up blues, we're now ten games without a win, apparently.

Not good for moral...
Thanks my man...saved me the hassle of a response, which may not have been well received ;)

Oh, so we're two points short of your expectations? What a disaster!

LOL, listen up blues, we're now ten games without a win, apparently.
well excuse anyone for having an opinion that may differ to yours or may in any way be critical of the performance of our players!
#mayaswellkeepmybloodymouthshut

well excuse anyone for having an opinion that may differ to yours or may in any way be critical of the performance of our players!
#mayaswellkeepmybloodymouthshut

Nah mate, feel free to whine, cry and shake all you want. Just don't expect normal fans with no kopite sense of delusion to agree with you.

Thanks my man...saved me the hassle of a response, which may not have been well received ;)

i think mythbuster's had a tipple:cheers:

Point of the thread anyway is just to show how the first 3 games give us no clue as to how the season will end up. The cracker was winning our first 3 games in 93/94 then coming sooo close to relegation lol And 10/11 & 13/14 were winless yet we finished 7th & 5th.

You all realize we are going to absolutely destroy West Brom, right?

It could be 6-0.

None of this "typical Everton" bullshit. Only pure, unadulterated filth.

We honestly don't know what's gonna happen when we play west Brom. On current evidence you would think conceding a couple is not unlikely. But a draw is pretty useless to us as we have pool and united away shortly. I do fear a raping from pool actually I could see us with only 4 points from the next 4 games which would leave us with 6 from 6 which would be near the relegation spots or in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.