Any players to go ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Not a negative thread or a player bashing thread (I hope!). I was just reading martinez's comments about selling players and using young players and loanees to stockpile the cash for this summer.

I would assume theres one or two fringe players he may still try and move on this summer but with a small squad he may keep everyone?

The following players contracts are also running out soon

2015- Osman / Alcaraz / Duffy

2016 - Kone / Pienaar / Gibson / Naismith / Hibbert

Will anyone leave this window (junior?) And whose contracts will he extend?

EDIT -- Also Lundstram, kennedy, Browning and a few others have contracts up at the end of this season

Last edited:
Do we really have Pienaar til 2016?

If we can get some money for him, i wouldn't be too sad to see him leave, he'll be one of our highest earners for sure.

Do we really have Pienaar til 2016?

If we can get some money for him, i wouldn't be too sad to see him leave, he'll be one of our highest earners for sure.

Did he not take a wage cut on his return from spurs? You may still be right but I thought he did.

osman and kone..but i dont think its worth it as we would prob hardly get any money for them, so may as well keep them as squad players

osman and kone..but i dont think its worth it as we would prob hardly get any money for them, so may as well keep them as squad players

I honestly don't think Kone is gonna be a big write off this year, he's second fiddle, but he has shown in the league he can do it, this season, unlike last, i don't think the pressure of him being the sole striker will be on his shoulders, there will be pressure, but i think he'll bag a few goals.

Not a negative thread or a player bashing thread (I hope!). I was just reading martinez's comments about selling players and using young players and loanees to stockpile the cash for this summer.

I would assume theres one or two fringe players he may still try and move on this summer but with a small squad he may keep everyone?

The following players contracts are also running out soon

2015- Osman / Alcaraz / Duffy

2016 - Kone / Pienaar / Gibson / Naismith / Hibbert

Will anyone leave this window (junior?) And whose contracts will he extend?

EDIT -- Also Lundstram, kennedy, Browning and a few others have contracts up at the end of this season

I can see Osman getting a 2 year extension, I think Alcaraz and Duffy are off, doubt we'll sell them though.

I really think Naismith will kick on this season, could see him getting a long-term contract after this season. We'll probably give Gibson a long-term extension as well, as by then Barry won't be able to play very much at all. I think Pienaar will probably get a short extension as well, he won't be able to play every game, but he's clearly still a valuable player, and I think retiring from SA will definitely increase his longevity.

I could see us selling Kone for a small amount of money next summer, assuming he has a decent season for us. Hibbert will retire after his contract is up.

I can see Osman getting a 2 year extension, I think Alcaraz and Duffy are off, doubt we'll sell them though.

I really think Naismith will kick on this season, could see him getting a long-term contract after this season. We'll probably give Gibson a long-term extension as well, as by then Barry won't be able to play very much at all. I think Pienaar will probably get a short extension as well, he won't be able to play every game, but he's clearly still a valuable player, and I think retiring from SA will definitely increase his longevity.

I could see us selling Kone for a small amount of money next summer, assuming he has a decent season for us. Hibbert will retire after his contract is up.

The best thing to do with Alcaraz is take him to the vets and get him put to sleep.

I honestly don't think Kone is gonna be a big write off this year, he's second fiddle, but he has shown in the league he can do it, this season, unlike last, i don't think the pressure of him being the sole striker will be on his shoulders, there will be pressure, but i think he'll bag a few goals.

yeah not writing him off, never had a chance really...but for someone his age he has been out for a LONGGG time

I reckon Duffy will go this window if he doesn't impress during pre-season.

Agreed, I'd let Duffy go now for his own good as much for the fact we'd get a few bob in from it.

His path into the first team is being blocked through a combination of quality veterans and younger more highly regarded players constantly preferred, and at 22 he needs first team competitive football if he's going to have any sort of career in the top flight.

His path into the first team is being blocked through a combination of quality veterans and younger more highly regarded players constantly preferred, and at 22 he needs first team competitive football if he's going to have any sort of career in the top flight.

Agreed, I want him to make it. Just don't see it being here. I think Martinez opinion on defender development is, "can he play? Great we'll iron out any defensive mistakes". Where as Moyes was more, " can he tackle? Will he put his body on the line to block? Great we'll try and teach him how to pass ".

Not saying Duffy can't do either, just exaggerating to make a point really.

On this note I'm wondering if the rumours of Rodwell is actually more with an eye on centrer half thanks than midfield. That's purely an idea in my head though haha

Agreed, I want him to make it. Just don't see it being here. I think Martinez opinion on defender development is, "can he play? Great we'll iron out any defensive mistakes". Where as Moyes was more, " can he tackle? Will he put his body on the line to block? Great we'll try and teach him how to pass ".

Not saying Duffy can't do either, just exaggerating to make a point really.

On this note I'm wondering if the rumours of Rodwell is actually more with an eye on centrer half thanks than midfield. That's purely an idea in my head though haha

Yeah theres certainly a big difference between the requirements of being a defender for Martinez and Moyes. I think Duffy would be a decent addition to at least half the premiership teams. Someone like Villa or Sunderland would be a great place for him or any of the newly promoted clubs would benefit from his defend at all costs approach.

I'm not so sold on Rodwell though, I think the lads got great ability but based on his injury record I think he'd be to much of a risk. Like Duffy I think he needs games, coming to us to either sit in the bench or during the bad times in the injury room wouldn't do much for his career now. Again a club like Newcastle or someone would be perfect, drop down a level but prove he can play every week. Rodwell's still young enough to turn this bad luck round and reach the top in my opinion but he needs games and to be challenged, he's not going to get that back at us now I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.