Will Everton break their transfer record this Summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex Blue

Player Valuation: £10m
Everton have always spent big money on players. It has been some time since we broke the British transfer record (with Tony Cottee in 1988), but we have continued to break our own transfer records on a regular basis since then, with us spending big money on the likes of Ferguson, Kanchelskis and Barmby.

Under Bill Kenwright, Everton have broke their transfer record 4 times in the last 8 years, more than any other chairman. The most recent occasion was in 2008 when Everton spent 15 million pound on Marounane Fellaini, which was a transaction that was preceded by spending 6.5 million on James Beattie, 8.6 million on Andy Johnson, and 11.25 million on Yakubu.

Given that our annual revenue is set to increase by over 37%, due to new TV contracts that will see us receive over an extra 100 million pound over the next 3 years, many Evertonians are expecting Everton to exceed the last transfer record that was made at a time when revenues weren't being increased by 37% a year for the next 3 years.

It should be noted that Everton have spent big money on many other players who have not broken our transfer record, with big money also being spent on the likes of Gary Speed, Slaven Billic, Olivier Dacourt, Bakayoko, Alex Nyarko, Thomas Radsinski, Joseph Yobo, Per Kroldrup, Leighton Baines and Bilyaletdinov. So it seems strange to read some Evertonians state that a 9 million pound transfer fee would be beyond us, or "Ooooh but Capoue would cost 15 million", as they are very much within our price range.

It is also worth noting that the RS have just signed that Coutinho for a mere 16 million, he is going to be worth every penny to them and he is going to do our heads in FOR YEARS, and as much of a prick as that Suarez is, they have more than got their money's worth through spending 22 million on him.

So, will Everton break their transfer record for a 5th time in 8 years?

Very interesting point you raise mate. It's weird, as it almost makes it sound as if we've been lavished when we all know the truth is far from it. My guess is when you spent huge amounts on players its very hard to top it even with inflation, whereas we are kind of incrementally increasing by small amounts. I can't see the likes of these amounts (off the top of my head, don't know if they're accurate/up to date) being beaten;
Villa £24 million Bent
Chelsea £50 million Torres
United £34 million Berbatov
Spurs £22 million Modric (they'll beat that soon)

Arsenal will surely break theirs soon.

Honestly, I can't see us spending over £15 million in the foreseeable future. Not before (big) sales.

Very interesting point you raise mate. It's weird, as it almost makes it sound as if we've been lavished when we all know the truth is far from it. My guess is when you spent huge amounts on players its very hard to top it even with inflation, whereas we are kind of incrementally increasing by small amounts. I can't see the likes of these amounts (off the top of my head, don't know if they're accurate/up to date) being beaten;
Villa £24 million Bent
Chelsea £50 million Torres
United £34 million Berbatov
Spurs £22 million Modric (they'll beat that soon)

Arsenal will surely break theirs soon.

Honestly, I can't see us spending over £15 million in the foreseeable future. Not before (big) sales.

how could you possibly forget, hahaha, 35 million for Andy Carroll. Certainly got their monies worth there.

I can't see it personally as I think there are quite a few areas which need strengthening. If Fellaini is sold this window I could possibly see 4-5 £5million players coming in. But then again I don't think anybody really knows just how much the new money will affect everton ie in terms of will it allow us to spend relatively big in the transfer market. There must be something in the new tv money given west ham already bidding £15million for 2 players (Carroll & negredo)

Agree with some of that in the OP, but some is just bizarre, calling the likes of Yobo and Radzinski "big money". Big for us maybe, but relative to the rest of the premier league it's absolute buttons.

We'll sell to buy. Money off Fellaini and Heitinga will be the warchest and the new revenue for this year will go toward paying down those debts that never seem to get any smaller.

We'll sell to buy. Money off Fellaini and Heitinga will be the warchest and the new revenue for this year will go toward paying down those debts that never seem to get any smaller.

And this is what I really do fail to understand. With all this new tv revenue coming in 4 years time I will be highly surprised if the debt has reduced at all.

And this is what I really do fail to understand. With all this new tv revenue coming in 4 years time I will be highly surprised if the debt has reduced at all.

They'll probably want to get themselves out of gaol on the bridging loans they've gotten themselves in a mess about (secured on the basis of PL status and Sky cash two years in advance of earning it). Then they have the long term debt relating to the securitization deal from 2002. The new tv deal will allow them that luxury, but it'll no doubt mean that cash must be generated through player sale - something Martinez probably agreed to if he could have all of it, and it was the way he operated at Wigan.

cant see Martinez wanting to burden himself with a huge signing that may go wrong at this point. not bothered either. transfer prices are no guarantee of anything and linked to the needs of the clubs, state of contract, the market we are buying from, media hype. sometimes managers just want to look ambitious, and in some cases there are some dodgy business interests behind it all. the wages we pay when players have proved themselves for us are decent and promising players will come to a club knowing that they will be rewarded if it works out. we will definitely get someone better than Henderson and Joe Allen, but on the brighter side think we may end up with a couple of good ones from nowhere. cos he has a track record of doing that and don't think we will pay no more for one player than 6-8 million

Last edited by a moderator:

cant see Martinez wanting to burden himself with a huge signing that may go wrong at this point. not bothered either. transfer prices are no guarantee of anything and linked to the needs of the clubs, state of contract, the market we are buying from, media hype. sometimes managers just want to look ambitious, and in some cases there are some dodgy business interests behind it all. the wages we pay when players have proved themselves for us are decent and promising players will come to a club knowing that they will be rewarded if it works out. we will definitely get someone better than Henderson and Joe Allen, but on the brighter side think we may end up with a couple of good ones from nowhere. cos he has a track record of doing that and don't think we will pay no more for one player than 6-8 million

Yes. And Kenwright blurting out he's been promised CL football will have sellers saying to Everton "well, you can pay CL prices then".

Yes. And Kenwright blurting out he's been promised CL football will have sellers saying to Everton "well, you can pay CL prices then".
agreed but Roberto hopefully played it down enough since. even more worrying is the constant talk as though we have already banked 20 odd million for Fellaini and are desperate to spend it

With this new TV deal we should be able to service our debts every year of it AND use some money to sign players. The new TV deal is £30m plus extra atleast a season so if they cant split that to use on debts and to buy players then there's something wrong?!!.

They could easily either split it 50/50 and make both the banks and Martinez happy, or even better, either a 60/40 or a 70/30 split in our favour, then were still paying off debts and giving the manager soemthing to play with each summer.

But one things for sure, with this new money coming in, we dont have to sell players!. From now on there shouldnt be any pressure on the manager to sell and it will be is choice to IF he does sell players.

Obviously if someone triggers Fellaini's clause then he can go, but that'll be down to him, he doesnt have to accept it?!!.

But going back to the original post, i think IF Felli does go, then there is a possibility Martinez could break our transfer record if he wanted to. He as got some funds already and if he was to sell Fellaini and one or 2 more then he'd surely have a substancial transfer kitty at his disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.