4th Place - What's it going to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't runners up get EL regardless?

BTW.. remember when we worried only a top 6th place would get us EL? hahaha... that was a bad week

Don't runners up get EL regardless?

BTW.. remember when we worried only a top 6th place would get us EL? hahaha... that was a bad week

Nah mate only if the FA cup winner also qualifies for the Champs League as well, otherwise they take the cup spot as winner as it qualifies them for a later round of entry (group stages)

I don't think Hull are looking to lose an FA Cup Final to get a pass into Europe. If they happen to beat Everton before then that will help them, yes, if it helps Arsenal and they obviously know that but they weren't going to not try any less against us - or even not try to win the Cup Final. Their advantage in knowing if we finish behind Arsenal (in 5th) puts them in Europe so they can use that advantage - it's a perfectly fair one (for them) because to take advantage they have to beat us - not lose!! They have earned that right to the advantage, such as it is but they have to win a game to use it - that's what football teams try to do!!

Normally teams rest players before the final - or at the least they are wary of picking up an injury. So it might be an incentive to beat us but so be it.

If Arsenal happen to finish 4th then they go into the final knowing they are already in Europe. End of.

I think you've misunderstood, the issue isn't that they will throw the cup game or throw the game against us, it's that they may not have an incentive to beat Arsenal when they play in the league this weekend. I'm not saying they will do this, but if they were to let Arsenal win, it would improve Arsenal's chances of finishing 4th, which would give them Europa League in the event that they don't win the final.

Essentially, by letting Arsenal win in the league, they improve their chances of getting European football in the event that they subsequently can't beat Arsenal in the cup. Still, this isn't really a new issue, and it's not as bad as in previous seasons when the cup final was played during the season. http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/perverse-incentives-in-europa-qualification.35104/

Massive injury crisis for Arsenal ahead of Tuesdays game with West Ham, as things stand Kallstrom is their only first team midfielder available.

From the Mirror today:-

Arteta picked up a knock on his calf during the Gunners' gruelling FA Cup win over holders Wigan on Saturday, while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Aaron Ramsey, Nacho Monreal and Santi Cazorla could also be doubts for Tuesday night's visit of West Ham.

Koscielny, Gibbs, Rosicky and Gnarby are all doubts as well, Ozil, Wilshire, Wallcott, Diaby and Flamini are definitely out.

I apologise if this has appeared elsewhere in thie thread
I have just been thinking about the timing of our matches on the run in. In paticular the next two games I think timing is critical....in BOTH our next two games we play AFTER we know the corresponding Arsenal results. We play Crystal Palace 24 hours after they play West Ham and we play Man Utd shortly after they finish away at Hull.
I think this may well be a much more significant factor than actually who it is that we play. A bit like a 2020 cricket match. We will know exactly what we need to do after they have posted their score. It will , if of course we need it, help the team be focussed and understand clearly what has to be done and I believe will also enable Roberto to fine tune his tactics based on the information coming out of the Arsenal results.
Interesting...haha it is to me but then I think too much.

I have just been thinking about the timing of our matches on the run in. In paticular the next two games I think timing is critical....in BOTH our next two games we play AFTER we know the corresponding Arsenal results. We play Crystal Palace 24 hours after they play West Ham and we play Man Utd shortly after they finish away at Hull.
I think this may well be a much more significant factor than actually who it is that we play. A bit like a 2020 cricket match. We will know exactly what we need to do after they have posted their score. It will , if of course we need it, help the team be focussed and understand clearly what has to be done and I believe will also enable Roberto to fine tune his tactics based on the information coming out of the Arsenal results.

We need to focus on winning our own games and not on what other teams are doing. We win and it doesn't matter what Arsenal do

Hull really shouldnt be looking at Europe next season, it would ruin them. No way would they be able to handle two games a week without spending a large amount, and they arent even definitely safe this season yet.

Hull really shouldnt be looking at Europe next season, it would ruin them. No way would they be able to handle two games a week without spending a large amount, and they arent even definitely safe this season yet.

Well they might win the cup. So it's awesome for them.

It seems to be all coming together lads...

Our three toughest fixtures now are Southampton away and United and City home.

Southampton's top scorer and arguable player of the season Rodriguez is out for remainder injured.

United are without Rooney and van Persie.

City's talisman and monster Yaya Toure is likely gonna miss our game.

Massive boost to our chances of 4th minimum.

It seems to be all coming together lads...

Our three toughest fixtures now are Southampton away and United and City home.

Southampton's top scorer and arguable player of the season Rodriguez is out for remainder injured.

United are without Rooney and van Persie.

City's talisman and monster Yaya Toure is likely gonna miss our game.

Massive boost to our chances of 4th minimum.

Hull will have there minds on the F.A cup final as well

We already do mate. We need to win every game we possibly can.

Hull will have there minds on the F.A cup final as well
Good point -- but that's neutralised by the fact they'll be physically f****d going into the game against Arsenal on Tuesday with only one days rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.