Everton Youth Teams Thread

Is Kenny being move into a more midfield role now do you know?

The past few times I've seen teamsheets, both for Everton and England, it has seemed to be that he isn't playing RB as much but without seeing the actual games live it is hard to judge.

@swisso is the man to ask as he watches most of the youth games, from what i've seen on the brief highlights and reports on the OS, Gethin Jones has played most of the games at RB with Jonjoe mostly starting at LB and a few games in midfield. I was a bit concerned that he wasn't getting enough games in his actual position but I think the club rate him that highly that they think he can play anywhere in midfield or defence, at least playing in midfield means he should get more involved in the game and get more time on the ball which will improve his game in the long run whatever position he ends up in.

@swisso is the man to ask as he watches most of the youth games, from what i've seen on the brief highlights and reports on the OS, Gethin Jones has played most of the games at RB with Jonjoe mostly starting at LB and a few games in midfield. I was a bit concerned that he wasn't getting enough games in his actual position but I think the club rate him that highly that they think he can play anywhere in midfield or defence, at least playing in midfield means he should get more involved in the game and get more time on the ball which will improve his game in the long run whatever position he ends up in.

i think they were hoping he'd develop into a centre back but unfortunatley doesnt look like he'll have the physique for it.

Ajax used to put there players in mad positions all the time to get them used to becoming footballers not just positiond

Ajax used to put there players in mad positions all the time to get them used to becoming footballers not just positiond

Great point this. No point winning youth Leagues, U21 League etc if the players are not able to gain the career that they strive for. This period is to learn to become the best possible player you can be. This is one area that Everton as a club have excelled in recently.

Yer good point, Daley Blind and Urby Emanualson are recent examples of how that approach can be sucessful, both came through the Ajax system and have played full back and defensive midfield at international and club level.

Last edited:

From what i have seen of some of our u21s so far there are a two who bobby see's as to good to be playing u21 (browning & garbutt) a few players with first team experience in the lower leagues (galloway, long, pennington) and a few being fast tracked (kenny & ledson).
Bobby has made it clear that upto u18 the youth system in england is great. But between 19-21 it seems there isnt much competitivness and it seems to hault players development. Look at mcaleny, duffy & even lundstrum in recent seasons. What do we do to make sure these talented kids dont get stagnent and miss out on there potential. Especially someone like garbutt who has so much quality but unfortunatly has possibly one of evertons greatest ever full backs in his way.

Maybe we should explore loaning our prospects out to the top flight of other countries, e.g., leagues outside of the top 4 like France, Portugal, Austria, Holland, Switzerland. Imagine Ryan Ledson playing for a mid or lower table Ligue 1 club having to play Ibra or Cavani twice a year. Surely that would help with development.

@EFCTRADITIONS: @GregOK Did you know; EFC can make it exactly 20 yrs with a youth teamer in every 1st team matchday squad, 861 consecutive games. Goes back to 1/11/1994 against West Ham at home. Lost 1-0 and Unsworth didnt play so sequence was broken. Was Mike Walker's penultimate game in charge. Means Royal, Smith, Moyes & Martinez have always had atleast 1 youth player in sqaud.

@EFCTRADITIONS: @GregOK Did you know; EFC can make it exactly 20 yrs with a youth teamer in every 1st team matchday squad, 861 consecutive games. Goes back to 1/11/1994 against West Ham at home. Lost 1-0 and Unsworth didnt play so sequence was broken. Was Mike Walker's penultimate game in charge. Means Royal, Smith, Moyes & Martinez have always had atleast 1 youth player in sqaud.

......very interesting.

@EFCTRADITIONS: @GregOK Did you know; EFC can make it exactly 20 youth teamer in every 1st team matchday squad, 861 consecutive games. Goes back to 1/11/1994 against West Ham at home. Lost 1-0 and Unsworth didnt play so sequence was broken. Was Mike Walker's penultimate game in charge. Means Royal, Smith, Moyes & Martinez have always had atleast 1 youth player in sqaud.

That is an astonishing fact. Never given it a moments thought really.

Yer good point, Daley Blind and Urby Emanualson are recent examples of how that approach can be sucessful, both came through the Ajax system and have played full back and defensive midfield at international and club level.
Isn't Emmanuelson a winger now?

Which just proves the point I s'pose.

wouldn't be the worst thing for us, for example, garbutt. looks a real talented lad, but it's pretty pointless in him only being able to play left back, because we already have two great players for that position and hopefully they'll still be competing in about 5 years time. if someone could develop him into playing RB, he could go straight onto the bench tomorrow. the balls he whipped in at swansea were great, if we could get a RB to whip those kind of balls in with his left that would be a bit of a weapon to have.

AFC Liverpool vs Everton U21s in the quarter finals of the Liverpool Senior Cup. Tie to be played by the end of November.

Rest of the draw:

Burscough v Southport
Bootle v Tranmere
Widnes v Skelmersdale United