• Wolfsburg

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 29 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big run of games coming up now. Hopefully Kone, Pienaar and Oviedo will feature in some and give us some added options. Our squad fully fit is class, we can realistically look to compete in every competition we are in.

Player Ratings :
Howard 8
Coleman 7
Baines 7
Jags 6
Stones 7
McCarthy 7
Barry 6
Aids 4
Superkev 7
Lukaku 5
Nais 5

Nais 5? Seems a tad harsh. Actually thought he was one of our best players. Really snidey when he needed to be. That's one of his best qualities. We just don't have any other regular starter like that (maybe Kev M?). Drives the opposition mental; gets in their face and in their head, etc. I'd also thought McCarthy did well. After a couple of poor performances, I thought he was aces. That last ditch tackle in the box which totally floored the Wolfsberg lad in the dying minutes of the game. Woof! But, like you, I'm sure I'm ultimately just glad we won and racked up serious goal difference. Sets us up really well.

Help me out here friends, were we playing down and just settling in for the win or was Wolfsburg just more aggressive out of desperation in the second half? Seemed like Timmy Howard had too many saves for comfort. Don't get me wrong, we generated offense but it didn't seem like we did much in the second half and against a top flight team, we would have not won playing that way, right?

Help me out here friends, were we playing down and just settling in for the win or was Wolfsburg just more aggressive out of desperation in the second half? Seemed like Timmy Howard had too many saves for comfort. Don't get me wrong, we generated offense but it didn't seem like we did much in the second half and against a top flight team, we would have not won playing that way, right?
Not sure we would have played that way against a top team with a different scoreline. We were 3 nil up.

Wolfsburg are a genuinely good side. We had the rub of the green and things fell our way but 4-1 in our first Europa league game against one of the better teams in the competition is a great start. We had less possession than Wolfsburg and still did them over, 4-1 does flatter us but either way we look threatening all the time and the defensive part of our game seems to be getting back to what we've come to expect. We probably did take our foot off the gas in the second half. There are definitely improvements to be made, we didn't knock the ball around all that well but scoring 4 goals in, not one of our best performances, and the defensive resiliance all bodes well.

Took me five hours to drive there and five hours to drive back but it was worth it! Was great to sit (well, stand) in the lower Gwlady's for the first time, good atmosphere in there! Couple of nutjobs shouting overly critical things every time McGeady went short for it and not 'on his bike'. Romelu got a lot of stick off this other bloke too for bad control. All this at 3-0 up.

Couldn't care less though, great result!

Took me five hours to drive there and five hours to drive back but it was worth it! Was great to sit (well, stand) in the lower Gwlady's for the first time, good atmosphere in there! Couple of nutjobs shouting overly critical things every time McGeady went short for it and not 'on his bike'. Romelu got a lot of stick off this other bloke too for bad control. All this at 3-0 up.

You get those pillocks in every facet of football...

This is why I say I must have been watching a different game. Man Utd last year, they looked genuinely insipid. Wolfsburg however had a lot of frankly massive spaces in our half which they failed to capitalise on. The 2nd half was by the by tonight, the game was gone. I'm genuinely confused by how we were winning 3-0. I was delighted, obviously, but play like we did tonight against better teams (or teams on their game, anyway) and we will get slaughtered. The difference tonight is Chelsea are clincal, Wolfsburg are not.

It's hard to really critique a win without being labelled negative. It's just how I saw it. The first half was rank poor and I'm shocked to see others thinking we actually played well in the first half. We've had far better performances in defeat in the last 6-12 months.

...I think it was a very controlled display. Sure they had plenty of shots and possession, but we were 3-0 up and that naturally leads to taking the foot off the gas. I always felt we had another gear to step up to. I always felt we had more goals in us. That was a very good win by a very good side against a very good side. Don't underestimate that.

We could afford to be loose at the back after going 3-0 up! Martinez probably wanted a proper defensive workout drill in a competitive game. We played some lovely 1 touch link up play and when we needed to be we didn't give them a sniff. 27 shots yeah? How many on target? How many inside the box? Mcgeady needs support, he can't be expected to go past every defender all the time that's why his dribbling success and possession loss rates look so bad, it's because he's got no option but to try and go around his man. We won 4-1 against Wolfsburg and people are still moaning, I don't get it. If they had scored a goal early on in the 2nd half we would stepped up a gear to blunt any momentum they may have taken from that. There's been games in the past and there'll be games this season were we have been and will be Wolfsburg.

......well done, Matey. Better 30,000 passionate Blues better than 50,000 over the park on a sponsored silence. Well done to all that went, you help make us special.

Status
Not open for further replies.