Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

How did you get on, mate?
not too bad thanks. had a bad start we missed the coach.my rs son drove us up there.had a pint on county rd which I managed ok. walked to the winslow to see jdawg but I was so knackered by then. I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. the walk up priory rd to the coach wiped me outbut all in all a good day out.

He came in the Winslow & he wasn't with his Son so I'd say pretty good tbh.

Only just realised when I saw your post.

Walked in & said to me "This might sound a bit daft, but do you know who the Grandoldteam lot are."

Good job he didn't ask Brian ffs, or he'd have been gettin' a bearhug off a toothless Hool.

thanks for the chat reidy (don't know whether people like their real names used on here) just glad you were all by the door. don't think i'd have the nerve to go all around the pub asking people. my son was more interested in being on the lash in st hildas but he did check if I was ok to walk on my own.it was good to reminisce about euro awaydays and games in the 80's. that was the first time I have talked to anyone at length outside family for over a year and I thank you for that.

Depression? What depression? That had always been my attitude to other people's woes- and then it hit me.
It was like being poleaxed with a baseball bat on the back of the head and I was in bed for a fortnight crying like a baby.

My wife was brilliant - she understood straight away and had seen the signs. My doctor was brilliant - he took me in hand and got me counselling.

It took me two years to get back to any normality - that was nearly twenty years ago and I am still on medication.

I would like to think that I am ok now but there are certain lethal concoctions that put me back and remind me of the bad times.

Over-tiredness mixed with too much alcohol is fatal.
Meeting people who are themselves suffering is not good
and on a lighter note thinking that the RS might win the league is enough to drive me scatty!!

Depression is a killer - you better believe it and the sooner one is able to get expert help and understanding the better. I personally do not think there is a cure but with lots of TLC it can be managed.

I'm here to help.

thanks for the chat reidy (don't know whether people like their real names used on here) just glad you were all by the door. don't think i'd have the nerve to go all around the pub asking people. my son was more interested in being on the lash in st hildas but he did check if I was ok to walk on my own.it was good to reminisce about euro awaydays and games in the 80's. that was the first time I have talked to anyone at length outside family for over a year and I thank you for that.

No probs whatsoever, trying to think back now if I was all me,me,me.

ha ha quite a bit but that's what I needed just someone to chat normal instead of asking how I am and trying to explain my condition whilst sitting there laughing and drinking and feeling a false idiot.

Well you've been out now mate, Goodison Rd pre match isn't exactly a bit of countryside where you won't bump into anyone either, and walked into the Winslow on a match day to meet folks you wouldn't know from Adam, you've taken a massive step there so don't let anything hold you back now cos you've proved to yourself that you can do it.

This time next year you'll be wanting the greeters job in Asda/B&Q if you throw as much effort into it as you obviously did on Sunday.

i have been looking into nutrition and diet quite extensively recently. I went to a seminar recently that was saying that cashew nuts are natures prozac. I would never mess with anti-depressant drugs personally. They recommended that two handfuls of cashews a day can help alliviate depression. Obviously there are other factors involved but there is really nothing to lose in trying these things.

'Consider that five servings of beans, a few portions of cheese or peanut butter, or several handfuls of cashews provide 1,000–2,000 mg of tryptophan, which will work as well as prescription antidepressants—but don't tell the drug companies. Some skeptics think that the pharmaceutical people already know, and that is why the FDA is less than enthusiastic about tryptophan supplements. Here are two quotes in evidence'

I feel as if I should post in this section. Brief history.

I've always managed to stroll through life quite casually, intelligent guy, knew what I needed to do to get by, sound family and for the most part a good group of friends.

I qualified to be a primary school teacher in 2011, my teaching grades were fantastic, not so much my degree side (I got a 2:2) but I was proud how I performed in the classroom.

First interview, first job, life was pretty damn smooth and passed my first NQT term with ease. Then I crashed. At start of 2012 we had a new headteacher, who in a sense, didn't like me, my face didn't fit. She bullied me mentally and broke me down to the point where I suffered depression and anxiety attacks. The doctor sat open mouthed when I told him the extent at what had been happening in school. I ended up turning to drink, crying quite a lot and using girls. I was a horrible person for quite a while until I went to counselling. That was the first steps to recovery. I cannot overstate how useful this was to me. It helped me build my confidence back up and change my attitude (which has been key) to a positive one.

I met my girlfriend in december last year and she has been my ultimate rock, I broke my leg in 4 places and shattered my ankle joint playing football and changed my life significantly. It set me back a bit mentally and I had an anxiety attack not to long ago but for the most part I'd consider myself depression (I still have my major highs and lows occasionally, but that's not depression) free, because I surrounded myself by the right people, had counselling and through a mental shift over time which I'm still working on and will be working on for a while.

As a bit of a tangent, I was walking unaided a week and a bit after major surgery, filmed by my consultant for proof of what people can do with these frames on (was balancing on my broken leg after 2 weeks) and i'm potentially 2 months ahead of schedule with my frame removal. I put the quick healing down to the fact that i've been mentally strong about it and a straight up stubborness to let this effect me.

If anybody wants to message me, or needs any support, i'm only a PM away.

TL;DR The best thing you can do is talk.

I've always managed to stroll through life quite casually, intelligent guy, knew what I needed to do to get by, sound family and for the most part a good group of friends.

I qualified to be a primary school teacher in 2011, my teaching grades were fantastic, not so much my degree side (I got a 2:2) but I was proud how I performed in the classroom.

First interview, first job, life was pretty damn smooth and passed my first NQT term with ease. Then I crashed. At start of 2012 we had a new headteacher, who in a sense, didn't like me, my face didn't fit. She bullied me mentally and broke me down to the point where I suffered depression and anxiety attacks. The doctor sat open mouthed when I told him the extent at what had been happening in school. I ended up turning to drink, crying quite a lot and using girls. I was a horrible person for quite a while until I went to counselling. That was the first steps to recovery. I cannot overstate how useful this was to me. It helped me build my confidence back up and change my attitude (which has been key) to a positive one.

I met my girlfriend in december last year and she has been my ultimate rock, I broke my leg in 4 places and shattered my ankle joint playing football and changed my life significantly. It set me back a bit mentally and I had an anxiety attack not to long ago but for the most part I'd consider myself depression (I still have my major highs and lows occasionally, but that's not depression) free, because I surrounded myself by the right people, had counselling and through a mental shift over time which I'm still working on and will be working on for a while.

As a bit of a tangent, I was walking unaided a week and a bit after major surgery, filmed by my consultant for proof of what people can do with these frames on (was balancing on my broken leg after 2 weeks) and i'm potentially 2 months ahead of schedule with my frame removal. I put the quick healing down to the fact that i've been mentally strong about it and a straight up stubborness to let this effect me.

Great post. Sounds like you are very lucky to have your girlfriend supporting you.

Anybody can be struck down by this. But everybody can cope if they acknowledge the problem and seek help.

Good story

Great post. I think we all see a bit of our problems in those of others, and just being honest with others requires us hear our own truths, no matter how uncomfortable. I've been through tough times, and maybe soon I'll share it. Your post is brave, and I'm so glad you're sharing with us.

Great post. I think we all see a bit of our problems in those of others, and just being honest with others requires us hear our own truths, no matter how uncomfortable. I've been through tough times, and maybe soon I'll share it. Your post is brave, and I'm so glad you're sharing with us.

In your own time mate. In a similar dilemma myself. But knowing this is here, as an outlet, is a help in itself. To me anyrate. As with most, it comes and goes.