Three at the Back Against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't want Osman to play. Absolutely sick of his dual handed arm raised "look where I am, pass to me"...whilst he stands flat footed with everyone moving around him.

We could go 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 with perhaps Gibson slotting in Pienaar, or Osman if both are unfit. Looks good to me, keeps the Naismith-Lukaku thing which hasn't looked too bad. Packs out the midfield and gives us good width, also sort of keeps the whole Baines-Pienaar left side in tact if Pienaar does indeed play.

Howard
Stones Jags Alcaraz
Coleman-------------------Baines
Barkley McCarthy Pienaar
Lukaku Naismith
Or 3-4-3 / 5-2-3 with Deulofeu and even perhaps Traore (if fit) as options for the forawrd line. Personally, I'd have said to avoid this one, but with Yaya Toure out, we could still dominate the midfield with this formation. Not too mention how much we could stretch the opposition with such width.

Howard
Stones Jags Alcaraz
Coleman------------------Baines
Barkley McCarthy
Lukaku----Naismith----McGeady
TL;DR

I reckon it's worth a punt, we've certainly got the players for it.

Play Hibbo in the middle just to go running around kicking Nasri and Villa.

Seriously though I'd just go for it, a point isnt much use to us unless Arsenal [Poor language removed] up.

Assuming Distin/Kev and Pienaar all out:

Howard
Coleman Stones Jags Baines
McCarthy
Osman Barkley
Delboy Naismith
Lukaku

I'd bring in Garbutt for Baines, and Baines in for Barry.
Luke's 20 now and a solid left back.
Exactly the sort of situation he's been waiting for

Tim
Seamus-Stones lad-Jags/Atcatraz-Garbutt
McCarthy - Baines
Foof Ross Geads
Rom

but I'm also the divvy who was happy with 7 attackers against CP, so what do I know about footy

Last edited:

Howard
Stones Alcaraz Distin
Seamus McCarthy Baines
Barkley
Lukaku Naismith Geads

Last edited:
Neither Yobo or Jagielka were are/were anywhere near that competent with the ball at their feet or dribbling forward.

And Barry is a DM, yet he slots in with the CBs all the time. And Stones already has a tendency to dribble the ball up for us from time to time, it'd be even safer if there was another CB to cover for him. Plus it would free up Macca.

And Barry is a DM, yet he slots in with the CBs all the time. And Stones already has a tendency to dribble the ball up for us from time to time, it'd be even safer if there was another CB to cover for him. Plus it would free up Macca.

Against Palace I thought Stones dribbled forward a bit too much, and it didn't really help our attacks but left us vulnerable on the break...so I could definitely see him thriving in Barry's roll where he would have more freedom to get forward but still often slot in at centre back.

If Distin or Jagielka are out though, it's a bit of a moot point.

I am quitely hopeful that it's a Stones in midfield experiment, I doubt it like, but I am hopeful.

I just want the team in blue to win.

I think the idea was that Jags would be nursed through by having too fit players surrounding him. It does make sense but we might as well have give him a marking job on Dzeko because he wasn't going to move too far and he had acres of space for both his goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.