Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

….agree, it’s unlikely and he said recently that he likes his players to press and recover when the opposition goes past which largely discounts Barkley. Saying that, Barkley seems much fitter and sharper than I’ve ever seen him & Dyche has used Gomes who is very much in the same category.

Its an interesting one for sure mate, one of the things i think we can all be guilty of (not saying you) is holding Dyche to serotypes or perceived judgements based on those stereotypes - he does like maximum effort players who support the shape. However he is also a manager who breaks his own serotype, he has a go with the limits at play - he tries to win rather then park the bus and he also is good at brining young players on and giving opportunities - we've had Dobbin, Brathwaite and Chermitti this season and Garner last.

So my point being i think there is a bit of flexibility in the perceived stereotype or plan A (Gomes as you say) and a pragmatist in him to.

He will know better then anyone that we need someone of Barkley's strengths - but its whether the juice is worth the squeeze on the depleting factors. Then based on finance if we dont have money to bring anyone into that role - Barkely on a free can suddenly makes sense.

Also Barkley will suit himself no doubt - he will go for the best deal, with the least hassle.

Last edited:

Please no more of this. If he can't be sold suck it up and use him in the squad. We just end up with two poor players and double the wages - it's exactly why the club is in such a state with wages.

Do you have any examples?

Maupay’s loan move has done nothing but save us money on his wages and increase Maupay’s market value. Whereas ‘sucking it up’ and having him stink out the substitutes bench would have done the exact opposite of that.

We need to get rid of Beto, as he isn’t good enough and he has a contract until 2027. A loan move, possibly at a level more suitable to his talent, would save us money on his wages and would hopefully make him more attractive to potential buyers. This won’t happen if he’s stinking out our bench.

Che Adams has a market value of between 10 and 15 million imo, and his wage demands are not going to be sky high. He’d be much better value for money as a sub, and we’d also be able to fetch 10 million or so for him next summer if we wanted.

What the difference between Beto and Adams? Value for money.

Barkley i suspect looks better with a one year contract, rather then a three year one.

Generally id be against on principal, but im a pragmatist ultimately, he would add some guile and creativity in transition and we need a player who can stand on the ball and control the game and tempo - so ultimately im open minded.

If you get him you have to accept you will be carrying him to a degree.
I think he would be a valuable addition. Given he only has one year with Luton, he would come as a free, I would imagine not a big signing on fee, and I would imagine modest (by footballers standards) wage demands given his connections with the club. He definitely has technicality and a skill set we do not have as you say, in the middle of the park- feels like a pragmatic no brainier to me. Having said all of that, do t think he is a Dyche/Thelwell profile signing.

Barkley is 30 lads, and for someone who doesn't do any tracking back, he was sweating like a fat bloke at the back of a queue for the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Do you have any examples?

Maupay’s loan move has done nothing but save us money on his wages and increase Maupay’s market value. Whereas ‘sucking it up’ and having him stink out the substitutes bench would have done the exact opposite of that.

We need to get rid of Beto, as he isn’t good enough and he has a contract until 2027. A loan move, possibly at a level more suitable to his talent, would save us money on his wages and would hopefully make him more attractive to potential buyers. This won’t happen if he’s stinking out our bench.

Che Adams has a market value of between 10 and 15 million imo, and his wage demands are not going to be sky high. He’d be much better value for money as a sub, and we’d also be able to fetch 10 million or so for him next summer if we wanted.

What the difference between Beto and Adams? Value for money.

Adams is free from July and currently gets 30 to 34K a week at Saints. He will be booed within a handful of games at Everton as no-way is he an out and out striker, more link up play. DCL could really benefit from someone like him in the team.

More to the point if nicking Saints players Kyle Walker-Peters is class at full back though is worth, and would earn, more than we may be willing/able to pay..

These kind of signings are actually low risk high reward. Most young players even if they don't kick on you can offload for same price you bought at even if it doesn't work out. But if they do kick on, the upside is pretty huge.

The only issue is that 12mill is alot for everton and for players not directly slotting into the squad immediately. But that's a club issue unrelated to the fact that buying talented youngsters should have been the way forwards for us

Hes on a 4 year deal and i know weve backended his transfer fee but in theory its £3mil a season. Sign another couple like him for a similar fee and we may not even touch £10mil a season on the transfer fees.

Thats less than Gomes & Dele's wages.

Shouldn't we be looking for a younger option, he is 30, and still seems to take the wrong decision (run/pass/cross/shoot) too often.

As for example a 3 year stopgap we could bring him in as well as another Chermiti/Branthwaite type signing so we have the short term and long term benefits.

Also a youngish player with some experience in the league may soak up £20mil+ in transfer fees.

Id welcome Ndidi and Barkley for 3 seasons.

….i put Barkley in the Gomes category. Provide quality with the ball but very little without it. I’ve never been a Barkley fan but I’ve praised him this season for his consistency and application at Luton, he’s been terrific for them.

Never noticed the exchange at the end with Beto which some lip readers suggested he said, “I’m coming back”, it seems strange he’d say that to a player he doesn’t know and who has limited English but I wouldn’t totally be against it happening (total u-turn from me).

I think Dyche will have a specific plan for him if he did return.

Cartagena was insinuating it too in comms. I'm all for it. Nearly choked when I realised he's 30 though. Mainly as I just dunno where the time has gone since he made his debut 😩

Whose Cartagena?

I think he would be a valuable addition. Given he only has one year with Luton, he would come as a free, I would imagine not a big signing on fee, and I would imagine modest (by footballers standards) wage demands given his connections with the club. He definitely has technicality and a skill set we do not have as you say, in the middle of the park- feels like a pragmatic no brainier to me. Having said all of that, do t think he is a Dyche/Thelwell profile signing.

Its been hinted that his contract there is more than 1 season and he has a £4mil buyout. No idea whats true.

Adams is free from July and currently gets 30 to 34K a week at Saints. He will be booed within a handful of games at Everton as no-way is he an out and out striker, more link up play. DCL could really benefit from someone like him in the team.

More to the point if nicking Saints players Kyle Walker-Peters is class at full back though is worth, and would earn, more than we may be willing/able to pay..

Adams would come into the Doucoure role i expect. Would we want that or prefer McNeil, Chermiti or even Dobbin in that role or rotating between them?

Walker Peters just turned 27 and I believe Thelwell has said we wont pay money for 27+ age players. I think for his fee & wages we could find an u23 player for a lower cost and higher upside.

My suggestions would be:

Kayode (Fiorentina)
Gray (Leeds)
Santos (Lille)

Not an expert on any of them and probably unlikely deals to say the least.

I'm watching the Leeds Vs Southampton match, that Gnonto has just been subbed off after doing absolutely nothing. I can't see him as a £20m+ player at all.

Im watching Arsenal but I wonder if Gnonto may fit better into our side rather than Leeds.

Still only 20 years old...

The one I think could be a great deal for us is Iling Junior on the left side and hes apparently available for £12.5mil.