Dyche; A Great Achievement?

I’d be surprised if we don’t get another points deduction next season. Can’t see us getting back on track without a lot of player sales and don’t we still have to have another meeting about the stadium issue that wasn’t included in the last panel meeting? Dyches football might not be the best but we might need him for another season at least to try and grind through another season of belt tightening seeing as on the whole he’s managed to get us thru a major crap patch

I think if we continue to win games for final run he should be commended for his efforts especially under the circumstances I know other people will disagree but I didn't think his football became dire till the 4 month slump. He actually tried to adapt , but if he's going to stay we need more than one person in the box when we attack

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.
It’s a great achievement, given the circumstances. But to be considered an Everton ‘great’ he’s going to have to build on it, and win something.

HK when he first turned up in 81 had to build from a relatively poor side. I’d argue given the state of Everton now, if SD were to manage winning something with from this, then perhaps, yes. But the way the premier league is structured now, the state of us it’s highly unlikely. HK had a more open league with which to ply his trade, it wasn’t, or didn’t seem to be as heavily weighted for the bigger teams like it is now.

I’m sure we would all agree if SD were to win something it would be a great achievement.

But we’ve some way to go, and so has SD to be considered anything close to that.

Not getting relegated next season, would be a start… as I think we will be a worse team in the new season.

To be fair with the hand he’s been dealt with by the disgrace of an owner, the board and the Premier League, he deserves a lot of credit.

He’s stubborn, and his style of football is very old school, but let’s not kid ourselves, we haven’t really consistently played free flowing attacking football since Martinez. Even Ancelotti’s teams could put a glass eye to sleep at times.

I was struggling to keep my eyes open during the first half.
Apart from the goal , it was League 1 level ‘football’ from both sides.
But overall he has done what was asked of him in difficult circumstances.
And he has good music taste , so there is that .
He isn’t the cause of our continued decline merely a symbol of it, so good luck to him.
The moment the ref blew the final whistle yesterday , I was off down the pub , glad another substandard season was over and done with.
It’s coming to the point where I will have to break this lifelong addiction which takes so much yet offers little in return.

I disagree with this argument. Look at villa under Gerrard/emery. Pretty much the same squad, but one of them nearly got relegated and the other has finished 4th.

Dyche has done well when it mattered in a tricky season, but let's not start normalising survival as a good season.
Villa squad is better and more balanced than ours.