Summer 2024 transfer thread.

The noise around Barkley’s contract suggests that he won’t be available on a free in the summer.

Instead, people are talking about relegation release clauses, which indicates that there would be no such release clause in the event that Luton stay in the Premier League.

It suggests that Barkley signed a contract agreeing to stay at Luton for at least a further season IF Luton were able to stay in the Premier League.

What do I infer from this? Well Barkley may be thick, but I bet you he’s well aware that it is in his best interests for Luton to be relegated!

Luton’s relegation is the key to Barkley securing a massive pay rise at a much better club as Barkley approaches possibly the last contract of his career.
Personally I would struggle to get on board with Barkley coming back.
It’s completely irrational (on my part) as he’s been very good this season, seems to have developed a bit more of a football brain / maturity, and would defo fit in and add something.
Just can’t get over the way he left having had £35m agreed for him.

He's looked well capable at cutting it and impacting at this level, id like him.
I wanted him before he went to Spain but the usual suspects kept telling me he wasn't good enough etc, etc. He can be a bit invisible in some games and does drift, he is NOT a target man, but when is on it he can be really effective in the role of drifting in from out wide towards the centre.

I wanted him before he went to Spain but the usual suspects kept telling me he wasn't good enough etc, etc. He can be a bit invisible in some games and does drift, he is NOT a target man, but when is on it he can be really effective in the role of drifting in from out wide towards the centre.

Hes about 1 in 2 at Sheff Utd mate, 5 in about 10, he scores goals and we badly need threat and goals - that has to be the priority.

Ive been impressed by him.

Hes about 1 in 2 at Sheff Utd mate, 5 in about 10, he scores goals and we badly need threat and goals - that has to be the priority.

Ive been impressed by him.
I agree, I always knew he would do well in the PL, I think he would make a decent signing if we could get him. Sheff Utd actually have a few players who in a better setup would probably be quite decent.

Thats ok as a backup left back for the short term. Just neither of them can be rotation or starters.

Even then, better off signing cheaper younger players.

The other day i mentioned this chap:

Jelert is ok going forward, but not very good defensiv. He is a right back, who can play on the left, but right back is his best position.

Why would we sign Brownhill when hes not good enough for Burnley? Were not trying to get relegated for another season...
Because we're skint and he's a competent prem level squad player who knows what dyche will expect from him...
He won't rock the boat, won't be expensive and can do a job when requited until we're in a position to replace him with better...
He's also not playing because burnley want to play a more fluid passing style which isn't something we do.

He's not leaving Fulham to join Everton. Come on now.
Why not?
It's unlikely but we should at least enquire.
We're a much bigger club and hopefully once the off field drama settles should be looking to push higher up the league...
Fulham are a bit of a nothing club, if they were based anywhere but London we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Because we're skint and he's a competent prem level squad player who knows what dyche will expect from him...
He won't rock the boat, won't be expensive and can do a job when requited until we're in a position to replace him with better...
He's also not playing because burnley want to play a more fluid passing style which isn't something we do.
When a team has no place for it's captain, that isn't a player you rush to sign regardless of whether they are cheap or not, he is the wrong age, wrong profile and just a poor player.

Some surprising players who played under Dyche who are out of contract this summer:

Taylor and Brownhill, we've flagged.

But:

Ben Mee
Chris Wood

Are surprisingly both out of contract in June, both well able to cut it at PL level in two positions we may need depth and options in.

Wood clocked 12 PL goals this season.
If the wages were right I could live with that, as a squad player/plan c, would allow cherms to go on loan somewhere and develop with less pressure, similar to branthwaites psv loan

Jelert is ok going forward, but not very good defensiv. He is a right back, who can play on the left, but right back is his best position.

He looked really good yesterday down the left both up and down the pitch.

Just the final shot wasnt effective but as a young player that can be improved.

If hes not good defensively as a LW, how is RB his best position :eek:

If the wages were right I could live with that, as a squad player/plan c, would allow cherms to go on loan somewhere and develop with less pressure, similar to branthwaites psv loan
Yeah hard to say really does need get more game time, i would like see him get more chances here next season or maybe a loan after jan depending what position the club in