New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the shouts for Martinez, I really do. His first season was boss and he was a likeable fella who seemed to enjoy his time here.

But he also started the process of us spiralling into the shambles of a club we currently are.

He isn’t solely to blame obviously. But before him it just feels like we were a steady club just waiting to kick on, and have gone backwards since.

Appointing Benitez could break the bond between many fans and the club. As a season ticket holder for many years I don't think I have ever felt so let down by the club. Yes, we have the disappointment of losing big games, losing our best players, etc, but we can live with that. But this is unforgivable. I for one won't be bothered anymore whether we win or lose. I'll just be waiting for the day he is sacked but the hatred and the anger which will precede that inevitable outcome will be unbearable and I will be staying away from it. But I doubt I'll ever feel the same way about the club which could so arrogantly ignore the feelings of its fans and instead slaps us in the face in this way.

Imagine if Palace and Spurs had signed up new managers and we had not. Seems strange that it is taking 3 clubs what seems like a long time to find a new manager. Spurs have not had one for months. As people have said maybe the Euros have complicated things. Arteta is still clinging on at Arsenal, maybe they will sack him when somebody they want becomes available.

He’s rebuilt his reputation on having a decent run (but still not winning anything) with one of the best international teams in the world with Lukaku Hazard De Bruyne Tielemans and Courtouis in it. It’s like saying let’s hire Gareth Southgate because he got England to a World Cup semi. No one would want him and rightly so because club management and international management are different things and Martinez is an awful club manager as he proved over three seasons with us. He does not need any longer.
I think with a DoF on the same page to find the players he needs it could be successful. My big question would be training and fitness, which was a concern during his time at Everton and something that he doesn't have to worry about much at the international level.

He’s rebuilt his reputation on having a decent run (but still not winning anything) with one of the best international teams in the world with Lukaku Hazard De Bruyne Tielemans and Courtouis in it. It’s like saying let’s hire Gareth Southgate because he got England to a World Cup semi. No one would want him and rightly so because club management and international management are different things and Martinez is an awful club manager as he proved over three seasons with us. He does not need any longer.

This is perfectly summed up re Martinez - definitely not the right direction for us to be heading in.

The longer this goes on the more you feel next season is a write off.

Its not difficult to have drawn up a list of 3-4 blokes who play the way the DOF of the club wants and interview them accordingly.

Sky know nothing so I dont believe their article but we are so slow at doing things as a club.
The next 5 years are a write off with Moshiri in charge.

Except Martinez also played some of the best football I've seen in my entire time watching the club, including during those 11th placed seasons.

He had to deal with transitioning the squad from the Moyes era with players who were now in their 30s and questioning his methods, all whilst having very little money to bring in fresh players of any quality.
Ok he didn’t have fortunes to spend. But 13mil niasse, 10 funes Mori. 6mil on Kone. And he bought other dross to. He could have bought better with what money he had, it’s 6/7 years ago.

And we finished 11th twice with Lukaku up front. Like I’ve already said today. Koeman got 7th the next season. Would you want him back?

Except Martinez also played some of the best football I've seen in my entire time watching the club, including during those 11th placed seasons.

He had to deal with transitioning the squad from the Moyes era with players who were now in their 30s and questioning his methods, all whilst having very little money to bring in fresh players of any quality.
Out of curiosity, what did you find appealing about the football in those 11th place seasons? I'm pro-Martinez if we can back him with some transfer money. But I can't deny those two season still give me nightmares. Then again, just about every season since then has as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.