2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
our best two players are Richarlison and Digne. Who bought them again?

We can’t just play the game of any good signing was Silva’s and any bad one was Brand’s.

From my view:

Hits:
Digne Richarlison Gomes (loan) Zouma (loan).

Still to be judged:

Kean (looks promising) Branthwaite (looks promising) Gbamin (injured) Gomes (perm - injured)

Flops: Delph (although injured a lot) Iwobi Bernard

Meh: Sidibe (loan- did ok as cover for RB) Lossl (hasn’t played for us). Mina (can look our best CB but has been injured too much)

Given that Bernard was free and will probably turn us an FFP profit there’s not that many out and out bad buys. Certainly nowhere near the Koeman/Allardyce days.

Im positive that we’ll have a good window this summer and if injuries abate we’ll have a better team and squad next year than this one. We’ve not been on an upward trajectory post Moyes leaving but I’d wager the squad (although still poor) is better now than it was in 17/18. Even if the progress is slow that’s still a better place to be than the squad quality going down.

It's far too much of a simplistic outlook to just look at his signings all written down on paper and say if he's done a good job or not. His job title is not 'Director of Transfers', his job is Director of Football which encompasses our entire operation. He's not just responsible for the players he brings in, he's responsible for the players he promotes, bins AND retains.

He hasn't done better than his much maligned predecessor did now for two straight seasons in the only metric that matters - League finishes. He may have bought better players than Steve Walsh did, but that is just one part of his job. His central remit is to put a very good squad together for the managers (or head coaches really) who take up the reigns during his time here to utilise.

Simply saying "he bought Richarlison and Digne" is a very feeble argument when he has largely pieced a squad together that can't outperform a dreadful team put together by Steve Walsh and managed by Koeman, Unsworth and Allardyce.

He's entering his third summer window. He has Carlo Ancellotti managing the team. He has no more excuses.

our best two players are Richarlison and Digne. Who bought them again?

We can’t just play the game of any good signing was Silva’s and any bad one was Brand’s.

From my view:

Hits:
Digne Richarlison Gomes (loan) Zouma (loan).

Still to be judged:

Kean (looks promising) Branthwaite (looks promising) Gbamin (injured) Gomes (perm - injured)

Flops: Delph (although injured a lot) Iwobi Bernard

Meh: Sidibe (loan- did ok as cover for RB) Lossl (hasn’t played for us). Mina (can look our best CB but has been injured too much)

Given that Bernard was free and will probably turn us an FFP profit there’s not that many out and out bad buys. Certainly nowhere near the Koeman/Allardyce days.

Im positive that we’ll have a good window this summer and if injuries abate we’ll have a better team and squad next year than this one. We’ve not been on an upward trajectory post Moyes leaving but I’d wager the squad (although still poor) is better now than it was in 17/18. Even if the progress is slow that’s still a better place to be than the squad quality going down.
Gomez had his best game in Pickford's last minute looney moment derby, but for the most part even before his injury, he was a bit too much of a sideways crab for me.

He looked very classy and composed on the ball, but didn't show enough offensively and he's also not the best defensive tackling midfielder either. I not too sure what to make of him?

His Barcelona pedigree is buying him a fair bit of patience, but it will run out some time next season.

Gomez had his best game in Pickford's last minute looney moment derby, but for the most part even before his injury, he was a bit too much of a sideways crab for me.

He looked very classy and composed on the ball, but didn't show enough offensively and he's also not the best defensive tackling midfielder either. I not too sure what to make of him?

His Barcelona pedigree is buying him a fair bit of patience, but it will run out some time next season.

Ridiculous to think we went to a prime Liverpool full in form at Anfield, with a midfield pairing of Gomes and Gueye, Bernard was on the wing, and we stood toe to toe with them and Gomes looked like the best midfielder out there, even Bernard was causing headaches for TAA. What happened to those players.

Inappropriate Language
Ridiculous to think we went to a prime Liverpool full in form at Anfield, with a midfield pairing of Gomes and Gueye, Bernard was on the wing, and we stood toe to toe with them and Gomes looked like the best midfielder out there, even Bernard was causing headaches for TAA. What happened to those players.
The thing is they can perform when the adrenaline is sky high, but then again, so can most teams.

The problem is the game after the derby against Burnley, Bournemouth etc, when they go missing?

It's your average game that determines your prem position and not your, worst or best. That said we're F****** hopeless.

It's a mixture of too many last big payday types, too many cast offs from bigger clubs, their psychologies (too many depressive types), it's all wrong. Just look at the energy Branthwaite and Gordon have been playing with.

We need find them "Up and coming" rather than "Down and out".

Status
Not open for further replies.