New Everton Stadium Discussion

Both Arsenal and United have amazing matchday revenues. Arsenal because they are in London, United because they can pull in the corporate seats on the strength of their brand. A new stadium is not going to deliver either of those scenarios to Everton. Nor is a new stadium going to pull in a better shirt deal or any of the other commercial sponsorships that could be pulled in now.

I genuinely don't think that the new stadium will change much for the club - I'd rather see redevelopment of Goodison and the money put into the squad
The reason why corporate clients go to games is mostly to entertain their clients. My wife worked at the one of the big corporates who had a box at the Aviva and that's what they used it for.

It was mostly to go to the stadium and see the facilities. The actual games that where on barely mattered. As for shirt sales. It's all part of the same thing. The brand of Everton FC.

The stadium is the foundation of that. It's huge for our future.

Remember when vast areas of Liverpool near the city centre were being razed to the ground in the 60s because it was deemed necessary. Thousands of classic Georgian houses obliterated in Everton, Kirkdale etc, houses that today would be viewed as a fantastic architectural feature of our great city. But the powers that be lacked vision and just wanted a quick solution to a housing problem. Same with GP. The stadium is unique, and in this age of soulless concrete identikits masquerading as football stadia, if retained its aesthetic value will rise. The club should be looking intently and seriously at how it can modernise GP, upgrade it, and expand it, whilst retaining its Leitch designs of Bullens Rd and Gwladys St, to produce a mix of the old and the new that can form part of the Everton 'brand' -- traditional but with a modern outlook and ambition.

Don't believe all this nonsense that it can't be done. The Board at Man Utd made the same bleatings thirty or so years ago - too costly to do up and expand OT, too small a footprint, hindering the club's development blah blah blah.

We have been trying to buy the church for years so we can redevelop that area of the ground but they will not sell, same with the school on bullens road, so as great as goodison is. I think it's time to move on and get a stadium to make all Evertonians proud.

Remember when vast areas of Liverpool near the city centre were being razed to the ground in the 60s because it was deemed necessary. Thousands of classic Georgian houses obliterated in Everton, Kirkdale etc, houses that today would be viewed as a fantastic architectural feature of our great city. But the powers that be lacked vision and just wanted a quick solution to a housing problem. Same with GP. The stadium is unique, and in this age of soulless concrete identikits masquerading as football stadia, if retained its aesthetic value will rise. The club should be looking intently and seriously at how it can modernise GP, upgrade it, and expand it, whilst retaining its Leitch designs of Bullens Rd and Gwladys St, to produce a mix of the old and the new that can form part of the Everton 'brand' -- traditional but with a modern outlook and ambition.

Don't believe all this nonsense that it can't be done. The Board at Man Utd made the same bleatings thirty or so years ago - too costly to do up and expand OT, too small a footprint, hindering the club's development blah blah blah.
It's a nice idea mate but it just isn't realistic. Main problem at goodison for me is the posts blocking the view. There's no way they can be removed without reducing the capacity or without knocking the stand down and starting again on a bigger piece of land.

It's a nice idea mate but it just isn't realistic. Main problem at goodison for me is the posts blocking the view. There's no way they can be removed without reducing the capacity or without knocking the stand down and starting again on a bigger piece of land.

Yes there is;
check the various articles by tom Hughes for the real details.

Short version: you use the space taken up by the pavements on Goodison, Bullens Rds and The G st. build columns there and hang a post free roof off it= not a massive increase in footprint or mega bucks

We have been trying to buy the church for years so we can redevelop that area of the ground but they will not sell, same with the school on bullens road, so as great as goodison is. I think it's time to move on and get a stadium to make all Evertonians proud.

That is correct, GP is landlocked.

The reason why corporate clients go to games is mostly to entertain their clients. My wife worked at the one of the big corporates who had a box at the Aviva and that's what they used it for.

It was mostly to go to the stadium and see the facilities. The actual games that where on barely mattered. As for shirt sales. It's all part of the same thing. The brand of Everton FC.

The stadium is the foundation of that. It's huge for our future.

That top paragraph is spot on. We have a box at OT and while the big games are always booked out first the smaller games all get filled. It's about the whole experience not just the actual football.

I think the stadium revenues will become less and less relevant. In context, the best scenario for matchday revenues is an increase from £20m to £30m - Chelsea have just signed a £40m a year shirt sponsorship deal. Getting into further debt for £10m a year is not going to make a difference. Sorting out the commercial side of the club would be far more beneficial

It would be worth a hell of a lot more than £10m a year.

Yes there is;
check the various articles by tom Hughes for the real details.

Short version: you use the space taken up by the pavements on Goodison, Bullens Rds and The G st. build columns there and hang a post free roof off it= not a massive increase in footprint or mega bucks
How would knocking down the stand and rebuilding it preserve the architecture though? And how would we increase the capacity doing that?