<3 Everton FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't done the sums but I think there was a fair bit left after the last two windows, quite apart from the extra TV money and stuff.

We might even show a profit when the annual report comes out, and we haven't done that for a while.
nailed on

good issue you raise . I think the battele between Rodgers, RM and Pochettino for 'best young manager' is a league within itself.

My post was in jest but yes you're not too wrong there.

I see Spurs are sniffing around Pochettino. Would be an interesting move and would screw Saints right up.

How we manage the additional Europa games will determine a lot. We had two mini-injury crisis this season which cost us. Both came after a glut of games (after Christmas and then the 4 games in fourteen days in April).

Hopefully we won't have the same long term injury problems this time, but we will need to add numbers. I'm hoping we replace some dead wood with high quality signings but also expecting that we take a punt on a couple of young players and maybe promote a couple of our own young-guns to the first team squad. That could turn the extra games into a positive.

If it's used correctly the Europa league can be an excuse to give some young players a chance and create some more viable competition in the squad. In the same way that some of our defensive injuries didn't hurt as much as they might have because we already knew we could rely on John Stones, mixing the squad up between different competitions can increase competition by revealing more options.

I'm really hopeful this season. Bringing in a couple of young squad fillers together with our own prospects could find us even one top quality talent, add that to the returning long term injured and a couple of big money signings and we will be right up there.

OH EVERTON WE LOVE YOU

What particularly excites me about Europe next season is that I reckon Martinez won't be afraid to play the likes of Duffy, garbut, ledson, mccelany etc (providing they don't go out on loan) which will give them the experience needed to slot into our first team when required.

Totally agree, but how many seasons before the lack of backing breaks Martinez's spirit?? I reckon he will spend money this summer, but that will be it for a while. Or, we might be saving cash for the stadium to use as an excuse for another negative net spend.

things just seem rosier all around now, imo. it's the hope that kills you though, ha.

I came across an obscure LFC forum today while looking for 'Laugh at Everton' threads. I forget its name but it actually outrawked rawk. It was even more moronic and the language was absolutely foul.
Anyway, one poster mockingly quoted Martinez as having said that he had 20 million to spend in the Summer and that he needed to spend it on six more players to enable the squad to compete in the Europa League. Or words to that effect.
I'm not doubting the essence of what the poster claimed but, if true, I'd be worried if Roberto was going to allocate his budget simply to target the EL.
I'd love us to do well, or even win it, but I'd rather see the money spent with an aim to go a step further in the Premier League. By that I mean
perhaps buying fewer, but better players.

I came across an obscure LFC forum today while looking for 'Laugh at Everton' threads. I forget its name but it actually outrawked rawk. It was even more moronic and the language was absolutely foul.
Anyway, one poster mockingly quoted Martinez as having said that he had 20 million to spend in the Summer and that he needed to spend it on six more players to enable the squad to compete in the Europa League. Or words to that effect.
I'm not doubting the essence of what the poster claimed but, if true, I'd be worried if Roberto was going to allocate his budget simply to target the EL.
I'd love us to do well, or even win it, but I'd rather see the money spent with an aim to go a step further in the Premier League. By that I mean
perhaps buying fewer, but better players.

Our current squad already has the level of quality needed to push on in the league though IMO, it's just depth that we need. We've pittered out in the league this season because of our depth, not our quality.

I agree with Martinez that we need about 6 players but we definitely need to be spending more than £20m on that. More like £30m on 3 permanents say, and then 2/3 loans (I'd love us to pee everyone off again with the loans).

Our current squad already has the level of quality needed to push on in the league though IMO, it's just depth that we need. We've pittered out in the league this season because of our depth, not our quality.

I agree with Martinez that we need about 6 players but we definitely need to be spending more than £20m on that. More like £30m on 3 permanents say, and then 2/3 loans (I'd love us to pee everyone off again with the loans).

I take you point but more depth without raising the quality isn't what we really need. It's OK, but if we could add even two players and improve our best eleven I'd be happier. We seem to have a few good kids ready to come through and they will add depth without spending a penny, I hope.

I take you point but more depth without raising the quality isn't what we really need. It's OK, but if we could add even two players and improve our best eleven I'd be happier. We seem to have a few good kids ready to come through and they will add depth without spending a penny, I hope.

Would you be happy if we just added two really quality players?

It's all opinion I guess. None of us really know what will happen, I can't wait for the transfer window!

This would be an excellent window for me (obviously the prices are complete and utter guesses):

Lukaku £20M
Diame £3.5M
Good young centre back (Martins Indi?) £6M
Barry FREE

Deulofeu LOAN
Traore LOAN (if possible)

I'd be buzzing my tats off if we did this or similar.

I can see what Martinez is saying about strength of numbers over improving quality. It's more a statement about trying to retain what we have and add a bit of competition.

You have to think that the majority of the budget will go on Lukaku or similar, but that in itself would free up a loan slot +the one occupied by Traore and if you add Kone back (+ Naismith) in we should be very well covered to tackle all competitions.

If we sign Barry, it similarly opens up a loan slot, add Gibson back into the mix and again our numbers in midfield are healthier. If Deulefeu stays all the better but if not, we add an alternative loan. Oviedo should be back.

The likes of Hibbert and Vellios will probably depart leaving more opportunity for our younger players to get games from the bench and hopefully grow from there.

I think the real challenge will be replacing Pienaar though, he's on good money but we probably won't get much of a fee. Whatever is left over after buying a centre forward it has to be split between this and a young centre back prospect as we won't be able to afford ready made replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.