Time to reassess: 71 points won't get us CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about CL and I'm not that worried where we finish, I'm just enjoying watching our fantastic football.

I think this year may be too much of an ask for fourth, I reckon we will fall off the pace towards the end of the season.

Next season I think we will definitely go for the top four, a couple of new signings early doors in the summer will improve the squad for the new season, and the majority of the team would have had 12 months of playing the way Martinez wants to under they're belts.

I don't care about CL and I'm not that worried where we finish, I'm just enjoying watching our fantastic football.

Quite right.

In some ways this season reminds me of the 70s when so many teams played good football and it was quite open. We didn't win anything, but we used to really enjoy going to the match and the spectacle it provided.

You've gotta hope we get some luck along the way, I.e. City have the title wrapped up, and a big CL fixture next, so they don't play a full strength squad may work in our favour.

Other than that, all we can do is keep plugging away, someone has to slip up sooner or later, it just isn't possible for the top 7 to win EVERY single game.

I've said all along that what will decide the CL places is the top 7's form against EACH OTHER.

Currently, having played all the top 7 once, Everton are SECOND in this mini league, behind Man City.

If that continues over the next set of games vs the Top 7, we will be laughing.

If we are still only 5 or 6 points behind the top team come March (no reason why we wouldn't be, it's January now), then our last 3 home games vs Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City are MASSIVE. We have a very good home record too.

We have a lot to be bullish/optimistic about. What will really give us a boost is the 3 aways vs Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea over the next month. 5+ points from those games and we will be well on our way.

seriously...whos arsed?

Just enjoy going the game every week. We will drop points, as will everyone else.

This season was about transition. Away from Moyes and into Martinez' new era. Many fans didnt even want him and thought we might be battling relegation.

This season for me is a massive unexpected bonus. Its all credit to Martinez and the players that they have implemented his system so quickly and were seeing the best football in over 25 years.

Seriously lads, i was 5 in 1984...and grew up thinking we won everything. We didnt and ive had to watch 5hite for the 20 years until Moyes gave us the odd game a season the past couple.

If you start having ideas about winning every game then you will be disappointed and leave the match feeling angry. And now just isnt the time to be feeling like that.

Trust me lids. Enjoy it

I've said all along that what will decide the CL places is the top 7's form against EACH OTHER.

Currently, having played all the top 7 once, Everton are SECOND in this mini league, behind Man City.

If that continues over the next set of games vs the Top 7, we will be laughing.

If we are still only 5 or 6 points behind the top team come March (no reason why we wouldn't be, it's January now), then our last 3 home games vs Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City are MASSIVE. We have a very good home record too.

We have a lot to be bullish/optimistic about. What will really give us a boost is the 3 aways vs Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea over the next month. 5+ points from those games and we will be well on our way.

Disagree.

If we continue to draw soft games it won't matter if we sneak a win against the ****e or Spurs.

One soft draw against a crap team completely cancels out a fantastic win against a direct rival.

For the victory over Man U see Sunderland, for the win over Chelsea see previous three draws at start of season.

With everybody else seemingly winning every week, it's the soft draws we need to cut out, imo. We'll always be tough against our direct rivals.

Teams above us will drop points, we've just got to capitalise. We're doing okay, ticking along nicely.

Liverpool and City's dodgy defences will catch up with them eventually.

That's mad. 78 points would have won the league some years.

It's crazy considering the season we finished fourth we did so with 60 points! I think if we look at the league table last year, Arsenal ended up fourth with 73 points and Spurs were 5th with 72 points. So I think we should be aiming for at least 73 points to get fourth this season.

If we do that it would be amazing, considering we got 63 points last season.

Can't rely on worldies or set pieces to get us through the season not creating and therefor scoring enough can't remember our last 'team goal'

seriously...whos arsed?

Just enjoy going the game every week. We will drop points, as will everyone else.

This season was about transition. Away from Moyes and into Martinez' new era. Many fans didnt even want him and thought we might be battling relegation.

This season for me is a massive unexpected bonus. Its all credit to Martinez and the players that they have implemented his system so quickly and were seeing the best football in over 25 years.

Seriously lads, i was 5 in 1984...and grew up thinking we won everything. We didnt and ive had to watch 5hite for the 20 years until Moyes gave us the odd game a season the past couple.

If you start having ideas about winning every game then you will be disappointed and leave the match feeling angry. And now just isnt the time to be feeling like that.

Trust me lids. Enjoy it

Quite right ;)

It's very much a work in progress, the first foundation is already in place - positivity, we will get there. It'll take time though, I think Klopp at Dortmund provides an excellent example. First season, 6th, second season 5th, before taking the league in his third season. Obviously we're not going to win the league in the same time span as unless something drastic happens it'll be between Arsenal, City and Chelsea for the foreseeable future because money talks.

Last edited:
It's so early in Martinez's reign that all things being equal, and injuries being minimal, we should be getting better with every game.

Fourth is definitely still a possibility. But it's next season that really excites me.

This. I can't wait for next season!

seriously...whos arsed?

Trust me lids. Enjoy it

This is very true, and I think everyone here is enjoying the new style we're seeing, but at the end of the day we are Evertonians who are proud of our history, and we want to add to it as well as being remembered as a team who played in pretty triangles.
To do that we need to finish in as favourable a position in the league as possible.

Football is about winning things. Gallantry is for losers. I don't think Roberto is a loser...

Teams above us will drop points, we've just got to capitalise. We're doing okay, ticking along nicely.

Liverpool and City's dodgy defences will catch up with them eventually.

City and Chelsea no chance, lets see Arsenal today, they have been lucky so far, if they drop points today it will be great, 5 teams fighting for 2 places better than 4 teams fighting for 1 place

Liverpool will not keep their current win rate going, but that said it's a big ask for us to keep it up too.

In my head, I think the top four will be Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Man Utd. I think professional pride will kick in for United and they'll grab the fourth spot despite the manager based on talent alone, because no matter what people claim that is a talented squad that is dramatically underperforming and the only way is up.

I think we could finish 6th-7th very, very easily, but even if we did the obvious strides we've made this season under Martinez cannot be undervalued.

Status
Not open for further replies.