Harry Caterick or Howard Kendall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both were great managers for us really although, with the talent he had to work with, I believe Catterick could and should have won more trophies. Kendall(1) was very good but fate didn't deal him a fair hand, what with Heysel in '85 and the injuries in '86.

The Catterick team of 1969/70 was definitely my favourite 'though.

They both won 2 leagues and a cup though Kendall won the Cup Winners cup as well, Catterick left through illness and we lost Kendall because of Heysel so both could have won more.
I would have to go for Kendall as he didn't have the resources that Catterick was getting and the two title wins were definitely his teams where as Catterick inherited most of his first team from Carey.

Both superb obviously.

Kendall for me. Howard broke the vice like grip of the RS after years of pain and frustration and did so playing football.

Harry had an amazing array of talent...the Golden Vision, the trinity, World Cup winning full back etc etc. He did great but he had no excuse not to.

Howard, loved him as a player and was the first everton player i ever met.. made the 80s the best years of my life, called my dog after him,, lol,, wish he would never have left he could have been our fergie....

Catterick because he built 2 title winning teams, 1963 & 1970.

Although HK was a legend for us too. Just looking at it objectively. HK won more, but Catterick had us at the top for a longer period.

Catterick because he built 2 title winning teams, 1963 & 1970.

Although HK was a legend for us too. Just looking at it objectively. HK won more, but Catterick had us at the top for a longer period.

True but don't forget that in the mid '80s we had endured almost 15 years next door to the what was then the pre eminent club team in england and probably the world. The Shyte were awesomely good and we were psychologically battered. Howard stopped the rot and set us on our way to winning and no Citeh like sugar daddy to buy his way out from under the neighbours shadow. That cannot be underestimated.

For me it's got to be Harry. (LCAB probably won't agree because of Harry's decision to sell the red haired one).

My view will be controversial but I think Harry's teams won through a purer form of the game....passing to feet.....keeping the ball....finding the angles.....

If you watch the youtubes of our great 80's teams, they often intimidated their opponents through harrying and disrupting their rhythm....winning 50-50 balls etc. The Bayern game was the zenith of that approach. As Andy Gray said...."We battered them....."

But the Holy Trinity were telepathic.....they could pass to each other without looking up. It was an early version of total football as they interchanged positions and ran rings round the opposition. And if we lost the ball, Labone or Wilson would get it back for us.

Vernon was a physical lightweight really but who could thread a ball through the eye of a needle......and that's before we talk of Young who danced across the turf without touching the ground.

I don't think the 1985-87 vintage could have lived with the 1970 team. In my world, only Sheedy, Steven and Southall would have got on the pitch with them.

I speak as one who followed both sides closely, home and away. Although Howard's time gave me the most cherished memories, the 1970 side shines out like a city in the clouds. What a team. I can shed tears thinking of that night against WBA when we clinched the championship.

And - whisper it - the current side reminds me of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.