VAR

I'd like to know who the VAR controller supports. Likely one of the six. How do they recruit for such a job, surely you have to have no affiliation with a team as part of the recruitment process

Always brings me back to this and you can see why we get the decisions we get as they have all been prepped to say it's a yellow, but if that was an Everton player doing that it becomes a straight red...

Two studs up challenges, one gets the ball and minimally catches the opposition and the other gets nowhere near the ball but clobbers the player full force. You would say they make it up as they go along but quite clearly they have a vendetta against Everton just because we boo them after their introduction before the match starts.

They are all opinions that arguements can be made.
The problem is that the arguments are framed are how can we favour the big clubs either out of fear, unconscious bias or corruption.
What is undeniable is that Liverpool get a late penalty for the Beto call and media argue all day it’s the right decision. Arms around a player is a free kick in the middle of the park

The problem is in the implementation.

VAR is currently re-refereeing games and that's not what it should be used for.

I've no problem with it being used for offside decisions, as there is no grey area there; you're either onside or your not.

Everything else should be decided by the on field referee. VAR should be a support tool, as it is in Rugby.

It should only come into play when the on field referee specifically asks for it. Like in rugby, where a try is scored and the referee will ask if there is any reason why the try can't be given. Likewise for serious foul play; if the referee has a concern, then he can refer it up for review.

It should never be what it currently is, where the VAR official seems to be independently refereeing the game and over-ruling the on field ref

You can add the palace players tackle on Gordon to that too just before he put them 2 up before coming back to win 3 -2. Was it Ayew I think
Crucial game where we needed to win and were behind. Absolutely woeful decision that - it was the textbook 2 feet scissor tackle

I can't stress enough how bad the officiating has been towards us for the past 2 to 3 seasons

I'm really going to try and take a step back from it all. No more basing my whole weekend around a game that has changed so much from what I fell in love with during the mid 90s.

VAR just drains the life out of the matches and for what reason? They're getting more decisions wrong than ever before. Making the rules up as they go along to suit their narrative and for the most part the journalists and pundits just clap along unless on the rare occasion something goes against a top side and then it'll dominate the back pages and the studios for weeks.

On top of all that, I look at so many of the stadiums and it's just a big day out for tourists. They go into grounds to tick one off the bucket list. They've no real connection to the club yet these are the people the Premier League want because they spend a fortune in the club shops. For the money men at the top of the game there is no turning back from the path football is on in this country so it's only going to get worse.

I always find that a good barometer of how bad a decision against us was, is how non-Evertonians react to it.

All I’ve seen tonight from both social and traditional media is a near universal verdict across the “football community” that it was an absolutely horrific decision. I think that speaks volumes.
I wasn't watching the game as I was at work. I read about the decision and have a quick look on Twitter, and a few of us watched a replay of the incident.

Not one person thought it was a red card offence, including some rabid RS - although they did go around the houses to say it.

When was the last time there was a weekend or day of football when there wasn't some contentious (as a minimum) or utterly awful decision involving VAR.

And I'm not talking about Everton here, but in general. When VAR is spoken about more than goals or play, we know that the balance is wrong. Scrap it!

Always brings me back to this and you can see why we get the decisions we get as they have all been prepped to say it's a yellow, but if that was an Everton player doing that it becomes a straight red...

Two studs up challenges, one gets the ball and minimally catches the opposition and the other gets nowhere near the ball but clobbers the player full force. You would say they make it up as they go along but quite clearly they have a vendetta against Everton just because we boo them after their introduction before the match starts.

The media bias is a big part of the reason why there is big team bias in the league. We had actual football journalists claiming the Jota dive was a clear penalty.

You will see two identical incidents. One will be deemed yellow by the media and one will be deemed a clear red, and the only distinction will be the colour of the shirt they are wearing.

Football lost me as a customer some years back after money took control. At least I thought it took control - it wasn't until VAR came along that it had some more powerful tools. It's an entertainment for mugs or the addicted now, not a sport.

Just watched the highlights off the bbc. I was looking put for Dom's serious foul play ... had he lost his head out of character? Would you believe I missed the event. All I saw was Dom, having a good match, make an excellent tackle where he trapped the ball and made a glancing blow to another player. Not dangerous, not serious foul play, no malice. I actually laughed.

In a game where players can have shirts practically ripped off them in the area without ut being a penalty, so long as they ate certain shirts, and a game where the slightest touch is a foul, so long as it belongs to certain teams .... I'm glad I'm out of the game. Its an utter disgrace. It's fraud.

If people can't see this by now (I have a mate who keeps trying to say it's incompetence not corruption) then I wonder how they manage to have the brains to keep breathing.