The Midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a better manager, better tactics, a fit Harrison and a fit and happy Dele:

Pickford
Patterson, Tarks, Branthwaite, Myko
Onana
Harrison, Garner, McNeil
Dele
Beto

So "theres no creativity" is there? Plus Onana is "average" i see.

Yet hes the one who has been creating changes where goals are expected (big chances) and statistically probable.

He's had an off game and another against Villa. He's 21 expected to dominate games alongside Gana and Doucoure. No one could achieve that.

Has to be Garner + Onana together. It defies logic to setup any other way.

"Why is a player who had always been a 6 behind a player who presses the ball with no positional sense".

Really?

He may well be a good all rounder who can give 6/10 performances every week. Thats better than Gana giving 3 or 4/10 each game.

No technical ability?

Try watching Onana against Fulham and Sheffield Utd...or catch him for Belgium.

Garner for Forest on loan showed an array of skills which are being underused (not used) with Dyche.

100%. Gana needs to be dropped.
What big chances? We are 5 games in, haven’t won a game, haven’t scored at home and the games where we did have chances I wouldn’t say he’s been brilliant or stood out from the rest of the midfield, he’s happy to pass it sideways and slows the game down a lot.

We don’t have players to play through midfield.
Is the answer DCL and Beto upfront, push the wingers further up to provide an option and get up the pitch to try and feed the big lads upfront - they are clearly exceptional in the air and McNeil and Harrison can provide moments of decent deliveries / wing play.
Leave the boys in the centre to work hard and provide cover and solidity?

This. We don't have any decent central midfielders, yet we play with 3. Go 442 and start trying to take the game to the opposition. With Harrison, Danjuma and McNeill to fill the 2 wide positions, stick the 2 big fellas up top and start hoofing it. It ain't pretty, but that's Everton for you.

As for the 2 in the middle? I'm available for one slot....

Onana is an enigma for me. It just feels like he could/should be offering so much more. In the Arsenal game last season there was a moment when he drove forward with the ball from the half way line and put in a great cross that Calvert-Lewin (I think) couldn’t quite get on the end of. The think this sticks out in my mind because I’m not sure I’ve seen him do it since then.
I can’t decide if it’s down to poor management or his confidence/ belief about what he is capable of doing. For me he should be playing as a 6, winning the ball back and driving forward with it when he has the space. He played there yesterday and the game just seemed to pass him by.

He may have been poor but he would have linked play today as he always did

TIppy tappy linked to nothing with no end product.
all we've done is got rid of one of the poor midfielders we had/have. He was part of the problem. Sadly we also didnt get rid and replace doucoure and gueye.
I cant see or think of a worst midfield in the league. Its been like that for at least two years minimum. Which iwobi was a major part of.
All round awful recruitment that we created ourselves.

We need a better manager, better tactics, a fit Harrison and a fit and happy Dele:

Pickford
Patterson, Tarks, Branthwaite, Myko
Onana
Harrison, Garner, McNeil
Dele
Beto

What formation is this even meant to be? Could probably do this in a 4-2-3-1 but the midfield would still get torn apart by any half decent side.
Also a fit and happy Dele seems an absolute impossibility at the moment which leaves Doucs as the only sort-of number 10.

The midfield will be the death of us.

Doucure is killing us as the “10”, and I will never understand why Gana is playing higher up the pitch than Onana, and is always in space on the edge of the box and is the one shooting from 30odd yards into the roof of the stands?!

How is Garner sat on his arse while those three are polluting the pitch?!

What’s Dyche doing with them all week ffs.
He puts them on the grass.Lagerly enough. What do you want?

TIppy tappy linked to nothing with no end product.
all we've done is got rid of one of the poor midfielders we had/have. He was part of the problem. Sadly we also didnt get rid and replace doucoure and gueye.
I cant see or think of a worst midfield in the league. Its been like that for at least two years minimum. Which iwobi was a major part of.
All round awful recruitment that we created ourselves.
No one is doubting that, the point remains, he was our only player who can link play and carrry the ball from defence/midfield. Yesterday showed exactly that

Status
Not open for further replies.